586,119 active members*
3,400 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

wankle not Wankel

Yes it is the wankle engine it is a word and not a name.
    The Wankel engine consists of a rotary piston with interior gears that are in a three to two ratio for example the rotor has 30 gear teeth and the stationary gear has 20 teeth. The old Mazda engines had 2X17=34 stationary gear teeth and 3X17=51 interior ring gear teeth. In one revolution of the e-shaft the rotor is held stationary two thirds of a revolution therefore it advances one third.

The wankle engine is different it's gear ratio is different. It has a 32 tooth stationary gear and a 24 inch spur gear attached to the rotor. In one clockwise revolution of the e-shaft turns the rotor 1/3 revolution counter clock wise. The combustion at top dead center creates energy like a bullet out of a rifle.
    It is a fact of life little known that energy is created by creating an imbalance.

It is probable that the gear ratio can also be 24 to 40 with double the e-shaft throw.

Any interest I have plans and the gears.

sketches

www.vcengine.yolasite.com

more info

In the previous page I refer to the wankle engine having a 24 to 32 gear ratio. Its rotor spur gear must have the gear teeth quantity that can be divided by three. In the example 24 divided by three is 8. Eight times four equals thirty two gear teeth to be the interior stationary gear.

The thirty two tooth stationery gear causes the twenty four tooth rotor spur gear to engage in thirty two stationary interior gear teeth with every revolution of the e-shaft. The additional eight gear teeth the rotor engages with causes the rotor to turn one third counter clockwise to each e-shaft rotation.

The same formula is used in determining the gear size. Choose the eccentric diameter desired and multiply it times three to get the spur gear inside diameter. Multiply the eccentric diameter times four to get the interior gear inside diameter.

As the rotor bearing I use a 6205 2 RS ball bearing as it is very close to being perfect in that the balls within are close to the right diameter and will not slide as they roll over it's interior surfaces.

The formula for a rotor bearing in a Wankel engine is divide the e-shaft journal or inside race by two and multiply it times three for the outside race. Divide the e-shaft journal by four for the size of each roller diameter. (This is not known by manufactures today)

Ken

Ken,

When are you planning to have a working model?

Jon
    Sliding down the razor blade of life.

Forty tooth configuration

I screwed up I got impressed with the functions of the gears. The rotor lobe cannot turn in the opposite direction to the rotor.

I was WRONG SORRY

KEN

It is difficult to understand the sidereal mechanics in the Wankel style engine as one has to think on four planes at the same time. The center of the Wankel engine e-shaft is spinning as the lobe causes the rotor to reciprocate and the gear mechanism causes the rotor to turn counter clock wise two thirds every the e-shaft revolution, resulting in the rotor advancing one third. There also is a balancing act required to have it function correct.

To further explain, the writer questions that the earth encircles the sun once a year. But if it is so, the earth turns on its axis only 364.25 times each year. We get an additional day on earth by the earth encircling the sun once each year. One has to comprehend two planes of thinking to understand this.

We have circular motions in the wankle and Wankel engine that take place on different planes to make the compete package that I have difficulty to comprehend.

Ken

Energy cannot be created....nor destroyed.....Unless you can move a mass at the speed of light squared according to my buddy Al Einstein. He is one fantastic man!

Look at the bottom of my Yola site. You will find instructions for designing a Water, Steam, Compressed air and IC engine that does what I expected the the wankle engine to do. The compression ratio is less than a Model T ford with 3.9 to one. The proof is in the pudding regarding the engine.

Take the time to draw it you may enjoy the experience.

Treat it as a Christmas present.

Take Care

Ken

mmmmm, chrissy pressies

um....

have you ever actually seen the inside of a rotary/nsu/wankel ?

four planes?

for planes, yes, theyre ideal for aeroplanes..except for fuel economy

so um, any machining taken place yet? id like to see a working model

YES

Look at index

I have had correspondence with Takomi Maroki of the the Toyo Koyo company that was later to become Mazda in 1978.

I posted information that was later incorporated in the RX8. (most do not understand the improvement from its previous rotary engines) I made posts that the exhaust port in the Mazda Rotary engine at that time released combustion pressure at a time when it could still do work. The side exhaust ports in the RX8 engine allowed for a longer power stroke by having the exhaust ports closer the 9 O'clock housing position.

I posted information that is the cause of the higher number gear count in the Rotary they are now working on.

Many years ago the problem of faulty rotary engine performance was brought to my attention by a friend saying that the engine has vibrations within between 3 and 4 thousand rpm. My opinion posted is that the combustion cannot turn the rotor as it is at all times meshed with the stationary gear. At 3000 to 4000 rpm the rotor is turning at 1,000 to 1,333 rpm Up to 3,000 rpm the e-shaft lobe is pulling the rotor over the trailing edge of the teeth of the stationary gear and the engine runs smooth. Between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm the combustion pressure attempts to push the rotor interior ring gear against the leading edge of the teeth of the stationary gear. The rotor oscillates due to alternating gear profiles and this intermittent pushing and pulling cycle.

Over 4000 rpm the combustion pressure holds the rotor against the leading edge of the teeth of the stationary gear and the engine run smooth. The introduction of a higher gear count reduces this effect. A gear system with up to six gear teeth in constant contact with each other will eliminate it.

Take care

Ken

rx8 huh?

interesting.

you havent mentioned anything about the metallurgy of apex seals, and/or the lining of the epitrochoid... at what point do we decide chrome plating just isnt up to the task? it chips, flakes, breaks, ruins engines...

so how do we fix that issue?

and then theres the little fact about how a circular piston ring performs the function of sealing so much more effectively than the rotorys flat seals can...

gears? the only way the gears may affect vibration is due to choice of profile/pitch, ie... cycloid or volute, what flank angle, stub or standard depth teeth, etc etc blah blah...

not sure about you and the engines you pull apart but in all the rotors ive dealt with the gears have absolutely no bearing upon vibrations. some high frequency noise, yes, but thats standard with straight cut gears, especially when ones an internal...

Mr. headsess Sir.

As I have mentioned in previous posts the Rotor in the Wankel engine actually turns two thirds ccw for every full revolution of the e-shaft to accomplish one third revolution clockwise. If the combustion is concentrated on the tailing side of the rotor surface it would assist in this ccw motion and it would position a larger force against the e-shaft lobe.
    A bicycle pedal at top dead center produces no torque to get torque you have to apply pressure against the trailing side of the pedal.

Let's ask what is combustion?

The best combustion takes place in an enclosed sphere. You have a system to ignite fuel creating heat that expands in the enclosed area causing compression creating heat which creates compression creating heat etc. etc. etc. and an instantaneous bomb.
    The next best combustion takes place in a cylinder of a reciprocating piston internal combustion engine when it is at or before top dead center. The chain reaction of heat creating heat when not fully contemplated can destroy the piston, cylinder, valves or the head gasket.
    The Wankel engine should not have the combustion cavity in the center of the rotor face There is too much metal surface exposed that bleeds away the heat also the top dead center advances along at one third the speed along with the e-shaft lobe causing a longer top dead center duration.
    Logic would put a cylinder shaped combustion chamber on the trailing side of the rotor changing the combustion center to be closer to the three o'clock position of the e-shaft. But who wants logic? The interior heat in the Wankel engine would drop and the combustion would be directed to turning the e-shaft.
    With the wankle style engine the rotor turns ccw as the e-shaft turns cw and the top dead center problem is almost non existent. Having a small compression ratio creates less heat and interior pressures. When the engine is loaded with work the heat creating heat effect increases the power.
    My most rewarding thought regarding the wankle engine system is the potato cannon that can shoot a potato hundreds of yards with no compression ratio.
    The apex seals can be aluminium or carbon the interior loads are insignificant when compared to the Wankel and Piston engine.
    The housing can be all Aluminium having side plates of steel and a split rotary piston that utilizes the combustion and compression and exhaust pressures to seal the functioning areas in the engine.
    The piston ring allows the combustion pressures to flow over the top surface of the ring to apply pressure between the piston and the interior surface of the ring to push it against the cylinder wall and seal the compartment. On the intake stroke the vacuum draws the ring to the top of the groove to seal the function.
    The Wankel engine sealing system does exactly the same with greater difficulty. Having the rotor side surfaces sealed against the sides of the housing by internal pressures may prove to be superior.
    Take care,
    Ken

THE HOUSING SHAPE IN THE WANKLE ENGINE WAS WRONG![IMG]www.starapex.com/wanklef.jpg[/IMG] it is posted on the Yolasite