586,409 active members*
3,045 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 22 of 109 1220212223243272
    Here is another picture of the terminal when I am running XP. The XP version just sits there to.
    I have tried the boot disk option and that did not work either.
    After I boot up in dos what do I do. (I feel really dumb about this time but I want to know I am doing everything correctly)

Tommy

opps forgot the picture!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uhu 007.jpg  

You've got the wrong terminal program. This the one for pure dos.
    Try http://www.uhu-servo.de/servo_en/UHU.zip and you have a chance at more succes.

Erik Jan
    What goes down, should come up.

Tommy,
    great to hear that the motor holds. The control loops is working, we can focus on the terminal.
    We have to determine whether there is any output from the processor an from the MAX232.

Solder a LED together with a 1 k resistance and connect one side to +5V. Check if the LED goes on if you touch GND (UHU Pin 10) otherwise reverse polarity of the LED. Then connect to pin 3 instead of pin 10 and reset. The LED should blink for a short period.
    Connect the LED reversed to GND and pin 7 of MAX232. Agin it should blink after reset.
    Same again with Pin 2 of the serial connector.

Inform us about the results.

Uli

Here are the results!
    I used Encoder + for the first few test.
    Pin 10 led on
    Pin 3 with reset led blinks for a brief second

I used Encoder - for the next test
    Pin 7 led is on steady and I see a very quick blink maybe.
    Pin 2 of the serial port I get nothing

Tommy

After evaluating that test I went and looked over pins 7(232) and 2 (serial plug) and it is actually pin 4 (looking at the numbers inside the plug and at the other end of the cable) that is working just like pin 7 of the 232.
    Tommy

In reference to the PCB it is pin 2.
    Tommy C.

Tommy,

pin 4 at the subd9 is definitely wrong. You do not seem to use a 1:1 cable, do you ?

Replace this cable by a 3 wire one, only connecting pin 7 GND, pin 2 TXD and pin 3 RXD.

And use the DOS version only under DOS....

Uli

ATTENTION: I made a mistake here, GND is pin 5 at the 9p serial connector. !!

First off I cannot get dos to run anything. The picture above is thedos version running under XP. My cable is straight through. I tried a dos boot disk and I can boot up in dos but that is as far as I can go. The terminal program is on the boot disk and I type A:\serv200 and it tells me that my graphics is not on.

Tommy

Uli

On the boards you sent me pin 5 of the serial port is connected to ground. On the schematic you also have pin 5 connected to ground.
    The PCB is completely reverse from all of my serial connectors. Pin 1 and pin 5 or opposite, if this makes any sense.
    Tommy C.

The other file EGAVGA.BGI must also be on the floppy!

Erik Jan

I have the terminal program working through dos and still nothing.

I have checked the serial cable and all the wires go straight through, pin number for pin number.
    Tommy

I just tried a homemade serial cable soldered to the back of the PCB and then inserted in a gender changer plugged into the back of my computer and no connection at all.
    It looks like I am dead in the water until I can fix this terminal problem.

I have pin 5 of the pcb connected to ground and Uli says pin 7 so I know there is a problem somewhere. I tried both pins when testing the homemade wire and still nothing.
    Tommy

Tommy,

sorry I made a mistake. It was pin 7 at the old 25p connectors. It is of course pin 5 at the 9p connector.

Please make sure that you use com1 as the dos program only supports this port.
    To test proper operation of the PC and terminal program you may connect pin 2 and pin3 of your PC serial port. Your terminal program should then echo all letters you type.

Uli

I finally have it working and it was the gender changer I was using. Of all things that can go wrong.

Now how do I make the motor run using the terminal or can I?

Thanks everyone for the help.
    I knew it was going to be a challenge for me.

Tommy C.

You can make the motor turn with the terminal program. It is a relatively uncontrolled run since there is no ramping.
    Set the maximum allowable error tot for example 30000. "E 30000"
    Then tell the processor it has a positional error. "G 10000". The processor will immediately try to correct the error and rotate until the error is corrected.
    The G value is an absolute value. To let the motor turn another run tell the uhu controller G 20000. This will rotate another 10000 steps in the same direction.

Remeber not to make the error larger than the value of E (maximum allowable tracking error)

Have fun.

Erik Jan

Tommy,

please note that the G command is not intended to be used to position 'in real life'. As Erik already said, there are no ramps and the maximum distance for each move is limited to the tracking error limit or 32000 what ever comes first.

It is just to give the possibility to test the controller and to allow automatic parametrizing in futur applications.

The G command works with absolute coordinates. Starting from 0 you can move 1000 steps positive with G1000. Going back to 0 needs G0 then.

Uli

Thanks everyone. I have everything working very smooth now but I did have to change the opto resistors to 560ohm to get the step and direction to work.
    I am feeding the step and direction commands via a laptop and watching the terminal with a desktop and it is really cool. I just wish someone would post some pictures of the terminal with a motor set up properly. I am only running 12 volts through a 36 volt motor for now just to get the hang of this servo thing. I now have to build a 36 volt power supply to feed these servos. After that I will be removing the steppers form my router.
    I also wnat to mention that I purchased a straight through cable today so I would not have to use my rigged one and it diod not work either so watch out for the cable if you are having trouble connecting. I will make a 3 wire cable as directed form Uli.

Thanks again for all the help everybody.
    Tommy C.

Can someone provide a simple schematic for an error output/input to shut down all drives if one faults?

Thanks
    Tommy C.

Quote Originally Posted by southernexplore
    Uli

On the boards you sent me pin 5 of the serial port is connected to ground. On the schematic you also have pin 5 connected to ground.
    The PCB is completely reverse from all of my serial connectors. Pin 1 and pin 5 or opposite, if this makes any sense.
    Tommy C.
    Hi Tommy,

you must have used wrong subd9 socket, look at the PCB for the pin 1 marking. just change the socket gender to swap the pins.

Manjeet..... )

Page 22 of 109 1220212223243272