586,036 active members*
3,688 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sodick A325 burning very slow

I have a Sodick A325 that seems to burn slow. Ex: If I cut a 4 inch piece of steel using the cutting conditions from the manual it wants to set the feed rate at 0010(.100 in./min.). However it is only cutting at about .028"/min.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Check your connections in the work tank on the rails, and the wire guides.Clean them really carefully, if they have any corrosion between the connections Sodicks tend to run slow.

I cleaned all cable connections and connections on the rails, cleaned and indexed carbide contacts - still only .025 to .030"/min.

the SF is set for a maximum speed only. Sodick typically will set the SF higher than actual cut speed. What type of wire and Diameter are you using? Good flushing? Did you test the discharge cables(pull on the ends and test the cables with an ohm meter to see if it is close to infinity). Carbide contacts clean and in a fresh spot? Resist at 5 ohms or better ( with probe clean and calibrated).

I am using .010 brass wire, good flushing, and I cleaned and indexed the carbide contacts.

When I was checking the discharge cables, one of the ends pulled off. I repaired that one, and ordered some new ones. That made a big difference.

Also when I was checking them with an ohmmeter I was getting .1-.2 ohms on the cables. What is the acceptable resistance on the discharge cables?

Thanks again for the help!

Randy

if you are getting .1-.2 ohms your cables are good. IF you just put the test leads together you will get that so you are close to infinity ohms. If you put the new leads on and the speed doesnt change take the probe out of the tank and clean it off. Recalibrate the meter and make sure the resistance is no lower than 4.5-5 ohm. Ideal is 6-8 ohms. If the resistivity is down the speed will drop.