586,395 active members*
2,840 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Invisible Flat Pattern

Invisible Flat Pattern

I have been designing an electrical enclosure today and came across a weird problem.
    When I flattened the part the flat pattern went invisible, if I hold the mouse over the flat pattern I can see the shape outline, so it is there .
    If I export the flat pattern out to a DXF it shows up perfectly.
    I am using Solidworks 2012 SP1
    Any ideas?

Thanks

Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M100 Main Body.jpg   M100 Main Body Invisible.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Normsthename View Post
    I have been designing an electrical enclosure today and came across a weird problem.
    When I flattened the part the flat pattern went invisible, if I hold the mouse over the flat pattern I can see the shape outline, so it is there .
    If I export the flat pattern out to a DXF it shows up perfectly.
    I am using Solidworks 2012 SP1
    Any ideas?

Thanks

Andy
    It looks like you have "hidden" the solid in the "flattened" feature. Right click the feature and look for the glasses shaped icon and click it to show the solid.
    My best guess anyway. This has bitten me a couple of times. If it isn't hidden there try this first item in the feature tree.

Mike

I've used Solidworks for sheet metal construction, but it's kind of cumbersome (in my opinion). What I have found to be much simpler and very accurate is the Bend-Tech Software Sheet Metal Module. It makes quick patterns and will print out on multiple sheets with little effort.

I've used Solidworks for sheet metal construction, but it's kind of cumbersome (in my opinion).
    I agree!, but its what the Company uses
    Every day I use Solidworks I find something that makes me swear!

Andy

Agreed!

I use Solidworks as well and for the most part, I'm very happy with it (except as noted). The Bend Tech was a complete head scratcher for me for a long time as I couldn't get my head around its simplicity. I kept looking for a more complex program (ala Solidworks, Alibre, Inventor, etc.) when all it took was to use the program as you would use a pencil and paper. It's tough wihen compaines spend tens of thousands of dollars on software for some purpose and then don't want to spend a couple of hundred on a dedicated program that can be learned in about 3 hours or less.
    I stumbled on the BT software for our tubing bender and have happily incorporated it into our workflow.

Had the exact same problem with SW2011. A colleague changed the view to wireframe and the model appeared. Changed it back to hidden lines removed and it was fine. That's goofy.