586,102 active members*
2,525 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My 4x6 CNC, Just about finished

Hi Guys
    Sorry i havnt kept you in the loop on my CNC build, its been one massive year.

My CNC is is a 4x6 cutting area and i have been using parts from cncrouterparts.com, i am in the process of drawing up parts for the riser for the gantry hence the bricks holding it up at the moment, the extrusion is from australis engeneering and all 3 orders from them they tried to over charge me and customer service is terrible but there prices are good so i guess you take the good with the bad.

I am using the 4 Axis G540 kit from homann designs

I am just deciding how high to make the risers, should the z axis be able to touch the spoil board? or hover above an inch at full extension?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc table.jpg   z axis.jpg  

Finished

Well my machine is finished, i did a few cuts on it today and everything seems spot on so far, i did take some video which i will post soon, i am off to bunnings tomorrow to pick up some timber to cut out a few dinosaur skeletons and do all the usual test fun stuff..... will post picks aswell
    Chris

Hi There,

How is your machine going? I am in the process of building a machine using a lot of parts from cnc router parts. It's going good so far.

One question I have is where did you get you steel for the rails? I can't seem to get on to anyone in QLD who can supply anything but hot rolled, dirty, dinged up flat bar. Your steel looks a lot better than mine!

Got any footage of yours going yet? I would love to see!

Cheers,

Rory

HI
    The Machine is going great and running really smooth, i havnt done to much on it latly as i havnt got a dust extractor, i do have some video but its on the IPhone and havent uploaded it yet, i got the Flat bar from edcon steel in sydney and had it shipped up, they actually call it "Bright Bar" which i could get from a few guys round here in port, no one usually keeps it in stock but can get it in, i only got it from edcon because they had it in stock. will do up a video of the whole build soon, i am on holidays at the moment and get back on wednesday next week so i will get it organised then
    Chris

I recived my dust extractor, its just a 2hp from carbatec, now i just have to hook it, sorry i havnt done a build video but i will do an overview video soon, i have added a quick youtube vid just showing a quick project

Looks good! I would be interested to know what you think of the carbatec dust extractor. I'm thinking of getting one myself.

Thanks, the 2hp extractor from carbatec seems ok, i have only used it to clean up the saw dust off the floor and it did good, i havnt got it hooked up to the cnc yet but it seems like it would do ok, i certainly wouldnt go any less than 2hp thou
    CHris

HI Guys
    just a video explaining alittle bit about my finished build, if you have any question i will be happy to help out, sorry for the late vid

Regards

Looks really good! I've got hot rolled steel rails on mine (cncrouterparts also) they are pretty crappy but seems to be moving ok. I haven't done any accuracy testing on it yet so it will be interesting to see how that goes. I want to get some cold rolled rails at some point though.

It looks as though I have the same spindle as you 1.5kw air cooled. Are you using a chinese VFD as well? If so how have you wired this up? I haven't had much of a chance to look at mine but it does seem a little confusing.

Nice build!

Rory

HI
    the hot rold doesnt even compare to the cold rolled sorry to say, the cold rolled have perfect square edges and are quite sharp to, i have a few cuts from them.

The VFD i havnt hooked up to MACH 3, i just got it wired straight up to the spindle and controlled manually.

Chris

Hi Chris,

nice looking build, congrats. I'm interested in your pendant. Was that from homann designs as well?
    - Craig.
    my JOES2006 build thread - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106995

HI
    No the pendant was off EBAY, it cost around $35 delivered, it seems to work OK for me but on other forums people seem to be having a few problems with them, i personally wouldnt buy another one only because they are super cheap and plastic, I am afraid to drop it as i dont think it would survive the first drop.

Regards
    Chris

sorry to bump this up but where did you get the aluminum extrusion from????