586,106 active members*
3,245 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Solid cam 3 axis programming help

Hello,

I'm pretty new to here/machining.

I have solidworks and solidcam, but have a problem when it comes to programming.

When I model a 3d part the process just takes ages. I've not actually ran it on the machine but 3-4 hours for a small alluminium part is about the norm, when I click the simulate button.
    I'm talking say 50mm x 100mm 3d contour. The feeds and speeds are roughly in the right ballpark I think, but its the type of tool and machining processes what slow me down.

For example say if I want to cut a 10mm external radius on an alluminium part what tool and process would I be best to use? I thought about using a ball nose 10mm end mill, but have no idea on the process, i.e. linear, offset, spiral, circular pocketing etc etc.

Maybe it just takes this long but i'm sure it shouldn't!

Any help welcome.

Thanks.

Are you talking about the time your PC takes to simulate your machining or the actual time your machine is in cut? If you have a 'normal' computer and the shape you are trying to simulate is curvy then the simulation can take hours and may even crash.

For cutting an external radius on a rectangular block of Aluminium I would only use a Ø10 ballnose if I really had to, preferring instead to use a 5mm Edge Rounding cutter and a 2D geometry.

However, if I had to use a ballnose I would deploy either the "Offset" or "Spiral" strategy with a stepover of 0.7mm (though I might reduce this to 0.5mm if I was chasing a finish).

Quote Originally Posted by Brakeman Bob View Post
    Are you talking about the time your PC takes to simulate your machining or the actual time your machine is in cut? If you have a 'normal' computer and the shape you are trying to simulate is curvy then the simulation can take hours and may even crash.

For cutting an external radius on a rectangular block of Aluminium I would only use a Ø10 ballnose if I really had to, preferring instead to use a 5mm Edge Rounding cutter and a 2D geometry.

However, if I had to use a ballnose I would deploy either the "Offset" or "Spiral" strategy with a stepover of 0.7mm (though I might reduce this to 0.5mm if I was chasing a finish).
    Hello,

I've not tired it on the machine because the simulation was so long.

Thats the tool I was using.

I'll have another play around with settings to see if I can reduce the time.

Thanks.