586,838 active members*
2,557 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting 1/32" thick mirrors using a CO2 laser

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I am using a compact CNC router that has a carbide wheel to cut thin sheets of mirror (1/32" thick with silver backing) into small geometrical shapes (triangles and trapezoids). I am having lots of problems with the machine (mechanical and lack of precision). I am thinking of buying a CO2 50W laser engraver. I am wondering if with some particular settings I would be able to etch the glass side of the mirror so it can be cut into the desired pieces without chipping the edges (with decent precision like within 1/32" and good speed). The pieces are like 1/4" to 2" in length on any one side. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A CO2 laser of 50Watts can only produce a series of micro-fractures into the surface of the glass. It will not cut the glass nor will it be able to make a suitable scribe line for breaking the glass.
    Have you tried a wheel type glass cutter, swivel mounted in your CNC then breaking the glass along the scribe lines ??

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Hello Tweakie,

Thanks for your response. I am already using a small custom-made carbide cutter connected to a cnc router. I am having lots of issues with the machine so I thought about switching to laser. I have read in some places that the CO2 laser when tweaked with the correct settings can actually cut glass/mirror well enough. Considering that the mirror I am using is 1/32" thick, I assumed that it could cut deep enough for me to get a nice cut. The issue is that I am using it to cut small pieces that need to have precision and I am not sure how well a laser would do that on the mirror.

Think your going to need a lot more power than a small 50 watt. I'm guessing more like 400 watt+ to cut glass. Glass can and will dissipate the laser beam, just like white foam board will.

Use acrylic mirror and you can cut with 10 watts. It comes in 1mm thicknesses (1/25")

Most companies who cut pieces of mirror would be using some sort of diamond wheel saw. This leaves a smoother edge. The laser won't make a dent. And scoring and snapping leaves nasty sharp edges which require finishing.