586,103 active members*
3,296 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

IDE and floppy drive extension cable

I'm building the cabinet for my Hardinge CHNC control upgrade...

There's not room for an entire PC so I'm mounting the motherboard separate from the drives. I need cables to go to a CD-ROM and floppy dirve, maybe two feet long.

Where do I get such a thing?

Karl

The maximum design length of an IDE cable is 18 inches. However depending upon the motherboard and hard drive circuitry longer cables can be used.

i have used 6 foor ribbon cable on a floppy drive, worked fine for me

Go down to Fry's Electronics, pick up some 40 pin ribbon cable and some female 40 pin IDC connectors. Put it together just like your short cable is put together and you'll be in business. To set the connectors, mill a 1/4" slot 1/8" deep in a block of scrap anything, mount it in your drill press vise, assemble the connector and wire together, put it in the holder, then use the drill press to drive another block of scrap down on the connector top until it seats. Yes, you can use your arbor press. 18 inches is the length limit, but you may get away with 24 inches. If that doesn't work, go to a SCSI drive, you can go 50 ft. with some of those. Forget the floppy, use the new USB pen drives instead of a floppy if your M/B will handle it.

Dave