587,024 active members*
4,037 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > OSP5000 getting "tailstock spindle condition illegal" - help!

OSP5000 getting "tailstock spindle condition illegal" - help!

This machine is driving me nuts lately.

I was running parts all weekend and all was fine. Running parts today and I hit cycle start and it alarms with Error 140-2 "Tailstock spindle condition illegal".

The tail stock is not even mounted on the machine!

If I hit reset several times, it will eventually work... but the last few times it alarmed right in the middle of a program and stopped mid-part.

Nothing has changed in my program, and as far as I know, nothing has changed on the machine either. I have had a couple of relays go bad - but I wouldn't even know what to look at to diagnose this error. Any suggestions? Is there a parameter I can turn off to stop the machine checking anything about the tailstock?

Don't know about a parameter to turn off, but i'd check the hydraulic pressure switch for the tailstock. It's there even if the tailstock isn't, im sure. Sounds like the switch is going flaky.

The centerwork parameter is located on the ID/OD chuck parameter page. 1 enables the tailstock and 0 turns it off.

Also if the tailstock has been jumped out, then commanding a M55 with allow the machine to recongize the tailstock is in the retracted postion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing-Nut View Post
    The centerwork parameter is located on the ID/OD chuck parameter page. 1 enables the tailstock and 0 turns it off.

Also if the tailstock has been jumped out, then commanding a M55 with allow the machine to recongize the tailstock is in the retracted postion.
    I am not seeing that.

I press "Parameters" on the control, the first screen has (each of the following has a space for XA ZA and C).

+ VARI LIMIT P
    - VARI LIMIT P
    + VARI LIMIT M
    - VARI LIMIT M
    CHUCK BARRIER A
    CHUCK BARRIER B
    CHUCK BARRIER C
    CHUCK BARRIER D
    DROOP DATA

Next page says "COMMON VARIABLE" numbered one through 32, but no names on them.

Next page says "SYSTEM PARAMETER" and has (and locations for XA/ZA/C numbers)
    +STROKE END LMT
    -STROKE END LMT
    BACKLASH

Next page is "OPTIONAL PARAMETER LONG WORD" with slots numbered 1 through 32 and various numbers in each slot

Next page is "OPTIONAL PARAMETER WORD" and slots numbered 1 thru 32

Next is "OPTIONAL PARAMETER BIT", 1 to 32 with 8-bit numbers in each location

Next is "SPINDLE ORIENTATION PARAMETER", 1 to 32

Then back to page 1 of the parameters.

I tried entering M55 in MDI and it immediately gives me the error "Tailstock spindle condition illegal". I tried entering M157 in the first line of my program which is supposed to turn off the check, and it does the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Don't know about a parameter to turn off, but i'd check the hydraulic pressure switch for the tailstock. It's there even if the tailstock isn't, im sure. Sounds like the switch is going flaky.
    I am not sure exactly what switch that is... I have a row of 3 adjustable pressure switches, and a push-button that reads out the pressure for that circuit on a gauge. I adjusted the tailstock pressure and it is changing when I check the pressure with the gauge.

It seems strange that M157 is supposed to make the control ignore the tailstock position, but it doesn't do that.

Which screen do you access to change from OD to ID chucking? Did the machine come from the factory with a tailstock and it was removed? I do not have a 5000Alarm book in front of me until tomorrow. Does the code at theend of the alarmpiont to thespindle or an axis?

OD/ID Chucking and Chuck Work / Center Work settings are accessed via the
    PARAMETER button.
    Then press 'ITEM ' or 'ITEM ↑' using the soft button under the screen a few
    times and you will see the tailstock/center and chuck clamp/chuck jaw settings

its funny that the chuck clamp says CLUMP. It took them something like 20 years to fix that wording.
    It's correct now on the later controls

Quote Originally Posted by Wing-Nut View Post
    Which screen do you access to change from OD to ID chucking? Did the machine come from the factory with a tailstock and it was removed? I do not have a 5000Alarm book in front of me until tomorrow. Does the code at theend of the alarmpiont to thespindle or an axis?
    I don't have a screen for that - I have a key switch on the control that lets me select between center work and chuck work. I took the back panel off and tested that switch to make sure it was working (it is).

The machine came from the factory with two axes, a tail stock and live tooling. When I bought the machine (used), the tailstock was on a pallet, not on the machine - and there was just a lexan cover over where the tailstock mounts to. I've never used it.

The alarm is 140-1 which is says is "tailstock spindle condition illegal". I can move the axes no problem, but spindle rotation stops when the condition happens.

It seems to come and go... I think it's temperature related. It only started to happen when it got cooler, and last night I tried to play with it some more and I was able to run 30 parts before I left for the night and no error.

I think the machine is expecting a signal perhaps from a limit switch on the tailstock mechanism, and it's not getting it. I went into the "check" page under the AUTO screen and I took digital pictures of all the input and output signals (this is while everything was working).

I will try to run the machine again today and when I get the error I was going to compare all the I/O signals and see if any of them changed to hopefully narrow it down a bit. There were several that were for tailstock position and such.

Thank you for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    OD/ID Chucking and Chuck Work / Center Work settings are accessed via the
    PARAMETER button.
    Then press 'ITEM ' or 'ITEM ↑' using the soft button under the screen a few
    times and you will see the tailstock/center and chuck clamp/chuck jaw settings

its funny that the chuck clamp says CLUMP. It took them something like 20 years to fix that wording.
    It's correct now on the later controls
    I wonder of Okuma built machines very differently over the years?

As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't have a parameter screen for chuck/center work. I have a switch on the control panel to select between them.

This is an LC40 with, what I think, is pretty much all the options you could get. It has the robot interface, live tooling, twin axes and such. The door moves to the right behind the control when it opens. Every other LC40 I've ever seen, the door moves left. Also, some LC40's I've seen have a chip conveyor coming out the side - mine comes out the back. And even the layout of the control panel doesn't exactly match any of the diagrams in the book. I have the switches and lights for the milling spindle, but there are other switches I don't have and some extra ones I do.

It seems like Okuma had several flavors of these machines that maybe were a bit different from one another.

Mike, you are correct. What "most" people remember is the 5000L-G controller. What i believe you have is either a 5000L controller, or a hybrid of the two. Early machines like yours had multiple toggle switches on the panel and a couple key switches, usually to the right of the key pad. They did NOT have the chuck clamp i/d o/d and center work parameter page. I ran LC10's, LC20's, LC30's, and EARLY lb-15's that were like that. Those that have dovetail x axis slide ways on the LB15's will know this.

I believe yours looks like this.

It was called a OSP5000L-G, but carried over the older operation panel. Some were simply labeled 5000L
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OSP5000.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    I believe yours looks like this.

It was called a OSP5000L-G, but carried over the older operation panel. Some were simply labeled 5000L
    Mine's quite a bit different than that - it has the gauges up top and a lot more switches, plus more buttons in the panel to the right. Here's a pic of mine.

Interested to learn about what exactly I have. I got this machine used... but everyone around here apparently knows it - it was purchased new by a local company and floated around a few shops over the years before ending up here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1432.JPG  

The bits that involve the tailstock In Check Data No 6 Bits 5 (TSRT- Tailstock retract), bit 4 (TSIP-Tailstock in position), and bit 3 (TSOA- tgailstock overadvance). The bits are usualy jumped out unless the machine had the option for Tailstock confirmation or tow-along. The Operations manual has a section on the tailstock if you have a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by SRT Mike View Post
    Mine's quite a bit different than that - it has the gauges up top and a lot more switches, plus more buttons in the panel to the right. Here's a pic of mine.

Interested to learn about what exactly I have. I got this machine used... but everyone around here apparently knows it - it was purchased new by a local company and floated around a few shops over the years before ending up here.
    Yup, standard 5000L, not an LG. You have more gauges and switches simply because you have more options/axis than the panel I listed.