586,094 active members*
4,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Lathe

Talking Lathe

Hey,

Has anyone heard any info on the new lathe? Last I heard there was supposed to be some info provided in Februrary.

Ernie

There were some low res pictures of the prototype posted on the Yahoo Tormach group but not much in the way of details. The pictures were uploaded by a Tormach mill owner that happened to be visiting after the prototype was delivered and it it sounded like Tormach would update the blog sooner or later. That was a week or two ago.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by cncmakers001 View Post
    What kind of lathe?
    A metal lathe.

Phil

anyone got a reference to these pics? I cant seem to get hold of them on the yahoo site.

Have a look on the Tormach blog there are some casting photo's
    Will

You guys quit with the lathe, I still have to wait a week for the mill yet. I live in Minnesota, could of went to Tormach in Wisconsin to see the lathe, but not my 1100 mill have to wait. So I have yet to see a real one, but to get one I prepaid, and have to wait. I just hope it is easy to run as the last mill I bought, a 1907 #10 Brown and Sharp Universal. Its close to a cnc, it has a electical switch for foward and reverse. I am manual machinist but I have been trained to run cnc lathes and mills. "If it makes a loud noise, hit that big red button" I dont know how to run it yet, but it still is going to look cool in the shop.

See here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tormac...32661/pic/list

Not much in the way of details and the photos are low res, so don't expect a full marketing layout.

Looks pretty interesting so far, though.

Mike

Ok checked out the pictures of the lathe this is a very very good move for tormach and I can not wait to see one and would be nice to see the cost???

It's probably too early in the manufacturing cycle for a realistic price to be expected and there's not much point in bugging Tormach about it until they get much closer to production.

Heck, I'd be happy to get even estimates of some of the critical specs, like spindle type & bore, speeds, tooling arrangement (turret? gang?), accuracy, etc.

Mike