586,036 active members*
3,869 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3D Modeling help

O.K., I now concede the fact that I am a complete idiot. A month or so ago I was looking to set up with the DeskCNC and TP-100 probe so I could start producing some aluminum parts for firearms. My intention was to first manually machine them and then copy them with the probe. I was encouraged to try to design them on my system with Bobcad V.19 and Mach 2. I have failed miserably. I have learned to draw and modify in 2D to some extent but I cannot even get started in 3D. These parts are only a couple of inches long and about 4 unches wide. They have about 3 or 4 different steps or elevations to them. I can't call Bobcad support because the kind fellow I bought my machine and computer from won't send me the software so I can transfer the license. I can't even get an email response anymore. I need to find a learning curve fast track somehow. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Rick

Well, I've found a V.18 manual. Maybe it will help. Can anyone tell me if the book "7 easy steps to Bobcad" is any good?

Rick

Sounds like 2.5D, not 3D

From your brief description it sounds like the parts you are making are not 3D but 2.5D. 2.5D means that during each cut the Z dimension (cutter height) always stays fixed when X or Y are moving. This allows parts with steps, pockets and holes with the restriction that the edges of all the holes, steps and pockets are always square to the table.

If that applies to your planned parts, look for Bobcad examples of designing and cutting 2.5D parts.

I do similar parts using Autosketch 9 to make a "top down view" 2D drawing of my part and then a program called Sheetcam (www.sheetcam.com) to generate the G code. Sheetcam is simple in concept and thus pretty easy to learn, but you can use it to make pretty complex 2.5D parts.

In sheetcam you read in the "top view" 2D drawing you made and then for each edge, outline or pocket in the drawing you specify how you want it machined. Not as fancy or elegant as the "high end" packages, but as I said you can make some pretty complex 2.5D parts with it, definitely worth the $150. it costs.

You can use any 2D drawing package that outputs .dfx or .hpgl files to create the design you read in to sheetcam.

Good luck-

Paul T.

When I do solids I use a program called alibre. Alibre Xpress is free but it costs $99 for the export module to be able to export to something Bobcad can open. I have found that the modeling in Bobcad to be a little less than what is usable. The main thing being simple angles. Bobcad chamfers only 45 degrees and there is no way to change it once it has been done.

Bobcad makes dumb solids while Alibre is parametric. It makes solids that can be changed like many very expensive software but you can use the express at no cost to learn and only $99 for exporting module.

So you bought the computer with it installed but you will not be able to reinstall. I hope you got a reciept. Fax the purchase reciept to Bobcad to help with proof.

Ahhh, now I'm getting somewhere. No reciept, no email or phone response. In machine parlance. " I've been reamed". Yes, I guess P.T. Barnum was right about me. Things will be alright. If I can't start turning out parts soon, I'll have to sell the machine. Either way the bank will get their money. Live and learn. Thanks for the tips guys, I'm downloading even as I type. Any more ideas? I'll check out any available avenue.

Rick

Bobcad can do many solids and skins as well as 2D pocketing. Having the manuals is a big help. You can get it in pdf or word format on Bobcads web sight.

www.bobcad.com/tech

I hope this helps. Also call bobcad and talk price.