586,105 active members*
3,260 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: ATC Slide

Page 8 of 11 678910
    I'm not using any flow control on the PDB however I tried a couple different ones on the ATC and the SMC ones from AlliedElec.com are much nicer and have a fine adjustment.

SMC Corporation - ASN2-N01-S - Pneumatics - Flow Control/Muffler - Allied Electronics

1/8" NPT Control Valve is #70072071
    1/4" NPT Control Valve is # 70072072

1/4" NPT Swivel 90 x 1/4" tubing is 70070356
    1/4" NPT x 1/4" tubing is 70070335

You can get the push to connect fittings anywhere, enco, ebay... They are 2 to 3.00 each.

Quote Originally Posted by ImagineRobots View Post
    Do you have the fitting part numbers used on your draw bar solenoid valve? I see some quick release couplings used on the input and 2 outputs. I also see some type of flow valve used on the 2 exhaust ports. I just got the same solenoid from Ebay and it works well on my Fabco cylinder. However, the barbed NPT hose fittings I bought are huge.

thx

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    I'm not using any flow control on the PDB however I tried a couple different ones on the ATC and the SMC ones from AlliedElec.com are much nicer and have a fine adjustment.

SMC Corporation - ASN2-N01-S - Pneumatics - Flow Control/Muffler - Allied Electronics

1/8" NPT Control Valve is #70072071
    1/4" NPT Control Valve is # 70072072

1/4" NPT Swivel 90 x 1/4" tubing is 70070356
    1/4" NPT x 1/4" tubing is 70070335

You can get the push to connect fittings anywhere, enco, ebay... They are 2 to 3.00 each.
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know Allied Electronics sold this type of stuff. $5 for the flow control/muffler is a huge savings over the one I was going to buy from McMaster-Carr for $13 ea.

This pneumatic stuff is new to me but I'm learning a lot. I saw a YouTube video where a hint was made to use a muffler on the solenoid exhaust to control the cylinder speed. This prevents the cylinder rod end from slamming down too hard onto the top of the draw bar.

Your right, I never would have thought Allied would have those. The SMC Flow controls are top notch and have a very fine adjustment. Their other fittings work great but nothing special. It was just as easy to get them all in one place.

Richard

Another Great Video! Just make sure to post of few videos of you making some chips!

-Matt

Getting a lot closer to making chips

I finished machining the groove and chamfer on all the tool holders. I also turned the O.D. down on a few of the holders (Not the shank) so they were all the same O.D.

Tormach's holders are all over the place on dimensions and hardness. Some cut like butter and some were so hard the carbide would just scream and throw sparks.

At any rate that portion is done and the tools all measured and loaded into the tray.

I wrote a short G-Code program to load each tool and come down and touch off my Z setter in order to check to make sure all the offsets worked properly and they came out perfect. I did this first in full auto and then in manual mode from the ATC Load Tool screen. Had to make a quick tweak in the macro because I forgot the G43 and gotta have that for sure!

So things are looking up and when I get a little time I have one last thing to check before I start using it for real chip cutting. That is the manual tool change for tools not in the tray. I have to test the logic one last time to make sure it allows me to touch off and zero then uses the proper offsets.

Hopefully I can shot another video with it cutting metal and doing tool changes pretty soon.

Richard

Tool Table

I forgot to mention, I added an Export Button so I could export my Mach tool table into Excel so I have it available when I working in CAM. I'm going to try and do an Import button as well so the tools can always be added to the Excel sheet and simply imported into Mach.

My goal here is to be able to press a button, back up the tool table, export it to Excel, and create the tool table for VCarvePro and GWizard with one click.

I'm not sure how far I will get but that is what I'm going to try and do.

Richard

Thanks guys.

Here is the detail the spindle shaft and housing. The housing contains two 15x31x9 Angular contact bearings and a .469-32 bearing nut.
    Richard,

I am attempting to copy you excellent work on this ATC and have everything drawn except the spindle shaft and housing. Where did you get the bearings and do you have a 2D dimensioned drawing of this you would be willing to share? An Alibre drawing would be even better The drawing does not even have to match the final product just something I could use a reference.

Thanks

alan

I'm attaching a drawing. Let me make a few comments.

1st, the angular contact bearings are not really required and really a waster of money. Std ball bearings are fine. VXB is where I got them.

2nd, I used 0.469-32 bearing nuts from McMaster. You can use anything you want, not important. The 0.469" OD on the shaft is where it's threaded of course.

The OD that is 0.590 is where the bearings sit.

The 0.313" end is really 0.3125" and is where the pulley slides on.
    The other end is is where the aluminum tray goes on. I made a small hub and it's keyed to the shaft via 1/8" key. The tray then bolts to the hub via 6 10-32 shcs.

What is not shown is the pulley is pinned to the top of the shaft via 1/8" roll pin to keep it from slipping.

BTW, remove the second .txt from the Alibre files.

Quote Originally Posted by a.ash View Post
    Richard,

I am attempting to copy you excellent work on this ATC and have everything drawn except the spindle shaft and housing. Where did you get the bearings and do you have a 2D dimensioned drawing of this you would be willing to share? An Alibre drawing would be even better The drawing does not even have to match the final product just something I could use a reference.

Thanks

alan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Any any plans for a "more complete" drawing package? I'd be willing to pay for the privilege!
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

I have to spend some time and organize all the files, once I do that I'll determine how I want to distribute. Time is a little short right now.

I did not do any drawings however everything is in native Alibre format. So many drawings would have to be exported with dimensions.

I normally just create a drawing and export to a DXF without dimensions, then import that straight into Vcarve for doing tool paths.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Any any plans for a "more complete" drawing package? I'd be willing to pay for the privilege!

I'm attaching a drawing. Let me make a few comments.

1st, the angular contact bearings are not really required and really a waster of money. Std ball bearings are fine. VXB is where I got them.

2nd, I used 0.469-32 bearing nuts from McMaster. You can use anything you want, not important. The 0.469" OD on the shaft is where it's threaded of course.

The OD that is 0.590 is where the bearings sit.

The 0.313" end is really 0.3125" and is where the pulley slides on.
    The other end is is where the aluminum tray goes on. I made a small hub and it's keyed to the shaft via 1/8" key. The tray then bolts to the hub via 6 10-32 shcs.

What is not shown is the pulley is pinned to the top of the shaft via 1/8" roll pin to keep it from slipping.

BTW, remove the second .txt from the Alibre files.
    Thanks for the drawings Richard.:cheers:

Alan

Just out of curiosity, what kind of carbide cutter/insert did you use to cut the OD, the groove, and the chamfer? And what are you using for a tool setter? Great work!

-Matt

I used KenLoc CNMG322P Grade LC730 inserts for the bevels and OD's.

I used some GTN-2 inserts for the grooves. I have a few boxes of them I got dirt cheap. They are BRoussard BE3030. I honestly did not look up what grade they are suppose to be but they were so cheap I grabbed them.

They have cut everything I tried so far and some of these TTS holders are HARD.

My toolsetter is the little set that came from Tormach when I bout the TTS kit.

Richard

Congratulating you again for a great setup! Very cool. This will be on my future ToDo list.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Thanks Kelley. Your build is looking very nice as well.

Richard

Been following this tread like a hawk. I would love to do something like this for my PM25, just down sized. What do you think about those Rodless air cylinders? It looks like I could use the air cylinder in place of one of the linear rails and reduce the complexity a bit. Like this one LINK on ebay.

SFL

I actually thought about using one however I hadn't used one before and the only link between the piston and moving portion is a magnet. I was afraid the magnet may not provide the additional force required to snap the grippers around the tool or when removing the grippers from the tool. It takes a good tug on the grippers I made.

Maybe someone with more experience with rodless cylinders could chime in.

Richard

Alan, do you plan on documenting your progress, maybe in another thread? I'd like to watch.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by a.ash View Post
    Thanks for the drawings A.:cheers:

Alan

All the pics are in one spot on my site along with a few other simple projects. It might be a little better than trying to follow the entire thread.

Skinner Ranch

Richard

Alan, do you plan on documenting your progress, maybe in another thread? I'd like to watch.

Richard
    Hadn't really given it much thought. It there is interest I could give it a shot.

Alan

Page 8 of 11 678910