586,409 active members*
3,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > Having Problems with Mismatch on Head 2

Having Problems with Mismatch on Head 2

Having problems with mismatch on Head 2. When facing off on sub side and and trying to blend with an existing diameter from Head 1 mismatch occurs.When preforming standard face off and blending operations is there a standard procedure to use? I have this problem on more then just 1 machine. Seems to me that its a pretty basic operation to preform.

you probbably have some runout in your pickoff collet or guide bushing

when i have to blend diameters i do a gradual taper off in x even when i have good concentricity

Mis Match

Blending features from one spindle to the next is never easy. First and foremost you need to ensure you collet is running "true".
    1) Insert a gage pin into the collet and clamp the collet
    2) Using a .0001" test indicator put the needle on the gage pin the appox distance your work piece sticks out of the collet.
    3) gently spin the spindle by hand, the needle movement will provide all the data you need. Anything beyond .0005" TIR will cause you problems.
    4) If the TIR is more than .0005" I suggest remove the collet, cap, sleeve etc and thoroughly cleaning everything and checking that there are no dings or raised scratches.
    5) Re instal and repeat # 2. If you still above .0005" it could indicate a damage collet or collet sleeve. Replace them until the TIR improves.

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice. Another common occurrence I have found on the Swiss Stars is that when the sub collet is clamped on a work piece you can actually wiggle the sub collet back and forth just a little bit.(movement is very minimal but there) Is this normal on Stars?

Quote Originally Posted by dinnese View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Another common occurrence I have found on the Swiss Stars is that when the sub collet is clamped on a work piece you can actually wiggle the sub collet back and forth just a little bit.(movement is very minimal but there) Is this normal on Stars?
    Can you further explain this wiggle?

If your sub collet is closed on a part it should be rock solid. Heck, even open it should be rock solid. You may want to look into your sub spindle assembly, something sounds wrong to me. Your collet should be under spring pressure from almost the moment the spindle nut goes on. Especially on a star with the ejector tube assembly pushing on the sleeve.

As said before you must check the run out. You must also be aware of packing chips in the sub as well as other things like the alignment of your main and sub spindles. Your sub may be nuts on concentric, but if its out a little bit from the main it will cock the part on pick off.

Id start with addressing the wiggle you speak of.. really does not sound right to me at all.

I agree that any wiggle is too much. Precision tightly chucked things dont wiggle at all so that is probably one of or the problem.

Does it wiggle front to back in Z, or side to side in X, or both?

you said it does this when the sub is closed? if so thats definitely not right.
    CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant