586,114 active members*
3,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Target model has intersections???

Target model has intersetions I've tried everything to fix it. Itwill not produce a simulation. My part is designed with a few boundary surfaces and one pocket. Overall pretty simple. When I select target model then define, it only let's me select surfaces, not body to select. I don't know why it won't let me select the whole part as a body. In the design tree I tried knitting all surfaces together then form a solid body, but it will only let me knit not form solid body in solidworks. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Spencer,

This is more related to SolidWorks than SolidCAM. If the SolidWorks model does not have a solid body, then SolidCAM can only select the surfaces!
    If you can't create the solid body in the solidworks model, then there must be intersecting surfaces or gaps. If you need further assistance I suggest attaching the offending model to this thread so we can help!?

I guess you have tried the “Check and Fix” button in the Solid Integrity section when you go to Define Target Model?

Thanks for your help, ya I did try having it fix it's self but it fails everytime. It might just be how I drew the part in solidworks. I spent so much time on it but I geuss I did it wrong. I will try to post the part when I get a chance. Maybe you could help me as to what went wrong and what I could do to fix it or how to redraw it wright. Do you know why I can't do an exstruded cut on plined boundary surface?

Hey Spencer,

You may have answered your own question. I’m not certain that you can do an extruded cut through a surface as there is no solid to extrude through. I’d have to look at the SW part but I’m guessing if you could convert all of your surfaces in to one solid part that would go some way to fixing up your problems.

You can't use an extruded cut on a surface - you need to use Trim under the surface tools.

Thanks for your input my part was not a part I went back in the design and with a lot of monkeying around I found a way to do what needed, so the part Is now a solid body. I havnt quite got the simulation wright yet but I'm on the wright track. I'll update later how it goes when I get more time on it.

I got the bottom side to simulate accurate but the top I'm having a lot trouble with. The top of the part looks like an egg cut into a fourth. there are no straight or square surfaces. What's the best way to pick the origin? how can can I pick the stock corner to be the origin?

if you have a flat face anywhere on the part, use select face to get a co-ordinate system and then use the flip options and finally the pick origin option to move it to the desired location.
    If you're still struggling, draw a sketch and use the Define option (rather than select face). With this you simply select 3 points in the order of origin, X direction, Y direction.

I ask about the origin because I get this weird hash no matter where I place it. It only cuts wright on linear cut, but that's not clean at all, I like spiral cut except for that hash across the top. Why is that hash there? It wont cut constant Z at all??? Also how can I simulate with the top side up, it's upside down. Does that matter when it cuts the real part out?

You can rotate the part during simulation!?

Hard to know what the issue is with your 'hash' without seeing the geometry you're working with!

I finally got it to work after a lot of tweaking every option till something worked. I'm not sure how or why it worked, I'm still new with solidcam and I hope eventually I know how and why all the different options work. Thank you all who helped me out. I really do appreciate it.