586,096 active members*
3,565 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Vibratory Tumbler Liquid

I've been using a 5# VT (bowl ~10") and have had success polishing with walnuts and SS shot, and derusting/deburring with plastic pyramids.

I originally tried green pyramids dry, but that didn't work very well. So I have been adding water and a little dishwashing soap. I've seen both Joy and Cascade recommended and have used them, neither are a suds problem (like Dawn - what a mess!) and both seem to clean the pyramids. I haven't tried any of the commercial compounds yet.

I have found NO guidelines as to how much liquid should be used with any of the media that liquid is recommended for. Can anyone describe their results with different amounts?

Too much liquid (e.g. 3 cups) seems to slow the tumbling action of the media, 1.5 cups is better.

Thanks,

Alex

Just thought I would post a follow-up on this. I've spent some time running different media and have come to the conclusion that the amount of liquid will differ depending on the media and the parts.

My current approach is to fill the bowl with media and parts, then pour in liquid in fixed amounts until I see the tumbling action slow, then withdraw the last amount added (basting syringe works good for this). Then write in my log all the details so when I use the same mix of components I know how much liquid to use.

Anything added to the liquid, i.e. compound, soap, etc., can change the lubricity of the liquid which can change the tumbling action, so has to be included in the evaluation matrix.

I had no idea of the challenges that tumbling offers!

Alex

I use a dishwasher soap as well, unfortunately I can't tell you which, cos we in Germany have complete different types. Even the had the same name, the igredients are different. Its best, if your medium is only wet, so I've drilled some holes into the bottom of my bowl. Every 10 minutes or so I put a pint of liquid in the bowl.

After 2 hours of tumbling I change the liquid, else the stones became dirty and don't working properly.