586,108 active members*
3,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Advice needed

Dont know if this is the correct place for this question but I hope so. I need a recommendation for a CAD program for making G code to cut tubing with a 2 axis system using a plasma cutter. We have the rotary indexer done with the drives,chuck, etc but need software to make the profiles we want to cut into the tubing. you can see on youtube laser and plasma cutters cutting shapes into pipe and round tubing using a rotary indexing system and a long axis moving the torch towards the chuck and away from the chuck. Can anybody offer any suggestions? Thanx...

almost any software can do the job but it depends on how complex the job is. that type of machine is not too common. is it 2 axis only (XY) or 3 simultaneous axis movement (XYZ) or more axis?
    can you give an example video of something similar to what you are doing using similar set-up/machine?

I think you are describing something like the Trumpf laser machines that have a process for notching and cutting shapes in pipe?
    This cutting pattern could be described as a C axis revolving around a Z. So it should be possible to program with any CAM system.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

No complex shapes, just holes and offset lines. Just using 2 axis. here is a youtube video [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a5gHfpLxNs&feature=related]Pipe Cutter - PlasmaCAM - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, linear Z & rotary angular C axis as I mentioned.
    Al.

Albert E.

Mastercam can do a linear axis plus a rotary axis easily but it can get complicated to use the software depending on how much experience you have with Mastercam (in your case none) and the complexity of the job. For example the jobs in the video require a bit more work but cutting a simple hole is not difficult.
    You may not need it though, I'm guessing the control has a built-in function to cut circles and could be programmed in a few lines with g code?

thanx everyone who replied. i did find a program called cncwrapper which should do the job and a bargain at 20.00....pete

You could also use lathe control software for the axis, and program in cylindrical interpolation by G code, this is typically used with Z and C axis and live tooling on a lathe.
    But if CncWrapper works it is a cheap fix!
    Al

Albert E.