586,096 active members*
3,625 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Taig cnc Mill how good is it

Ok just a question for pondering, how good is the Taig against the Sherline,
    Maxnc, or any others,I want a small allaroung machine, mostly aluminum will
    be machined but sometimes steel and stainless,I don't have the room for a big
    machine and don't want a mill drill conversion. Thanks for any thoughts on the matter. Chris

I am not familiar with the Taig but I do have a Sherline. The Sherline is a great little tool but I have not had much luck using it to cut steel; I think it is not rigid enough. On those rare occasions when I do try it, I have to use VERY light cuts (like .01 or less) so it takes forever to do anything.

Perhaps others have had different experiences though.

Taig Mill

Hey thanks for the responce, I used to have a sherline and you are correct
    they just are not rigide enough, also had maxnc as well and again not rigide enough, so I was just trying to get some input on the Taig as I haven't had one of those machines yet. Regards Chris

Get on the taigtools yahoogroup and ask some of the guys there. There is a big difference between the Taig and the Sherline and MaxNc mills. I'm a dealer so my opinion is presumably biased, so best to ask some users.

It is a heck of a machine though, especially now that they have an ER16 spindle, and much heavier duty than the other two. Steel and SS can be somewhat problematic as the machine's slowest spindle speed is about 1000rpm, but it can be done.
    http://www.cartertools.com/ntaig104.jpg
    Shows me milling a slot in some steel tubing.

I don't have experience with any of the above mills but like to add a few observations. First when you start talking about steel you need a rigid machine. That would be for even the most modest of machining requirements.
    Then we have to consider stainless which is a different animal that requires lower spindle speeds, which none fo the machines seem to offfer.

What is interesting is that you have indicated that some manufactures machines already do not meet your needs. I'd have to suggest that you really need to make a significant step up if this is the case. A mill drill conversion won't take up significantly more space and would handle the steel and stainless issues.

Since I don't have experience with the Tiag I can't say much about its rigidity, but lets say that isn't an issue. You will likely need to find a way to lower the spindle speed for use on stainless and possibly some steels. I suspect that you will be modifing the machine to support that use. This might not be to bad with a variable speed drive.

So maybe my comments don't have experience to back them up. I do sense from your posting though that you expect a lot out of a small machine. If your expectations exceed what any machine that size can realistically do then I don't think you will be happy with it. Maybe more specifics on what you expect from the machine might help and hopefully draw actual TIAG users into the thread.

Dave

One of the hardest things about selling small machine tools are the customers who clearly need a bigger machine, but are unwilling or unable to get a larger or more expensive one. Sometimes they can make do, and sometimes they need to start saving more money.

Another overlooked fact is that most of the small machines are great for prototyping, but not as good for production. You don't have high feed rates, and usually have to keep on top of backlash and adjustments. Yet I always get guys who think they are going to be getting a HASS toolroom mill for $2K...(although for things like engraving, etc you can do production runs, I do for the index plates I sell, make 5-10 at a time.) It is an excellent tool for learning CNC, and does keep it's value.

As for variable speed, Sherline has it, but Taig doesn't because they don't think it can handle the long run times that a lot of CNC programs need (another problem with prospective customers is they underestimate how long 3D contouring can take at 30 ipm). Some Taig users have put VS motors on their mills and are happy with them. Like I said, head on over to the taigtools yahoogroup and you'll get a lot of opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard
    I don't have experience with any of the above mills but like to add a few observations. First when you start talking about steel you need a rigid machine. That would be for even the most modest of machining requirements.
    Then we have to consider stainless which is a different animal that requires lower spindle speeds, which none fo the machines seem to offfer.

What is interesting is that you have indicated that some manufactures machines already do not meet your needs. I'd have to suggest that you really need to make a significant step up if this is the case. A mill drill conversion won't take up significantly more space and would handle the steel and stainless issues.

Since I don't have experience with the Tiag I can't say much about its rigidity, but lets say that isn't an issue. You will likely need to find a way to lower the spindle speed for use on stainless and possibly some steels. I suspect that you will be modifing the machine to support that use. This might not be to bad with a variable speed drive.

So maybe my comments don't have experience to back them up. I do sense from your posting though that you expect a lot out of a small machine. If your expectations exceed what any machine that size can realistically do then I don't think you will be happy with it. Maybe more specifics on what you expect from the machine might help and hopefully draw actual TIAG users into the thread.

Dave

Taig cnc machine

Well guys it been an eye opener to say the least,I guess what I was really after is a more bius opinon on how well the machine ovrall is, I have owned the Maxnc and Sherline and wasn't to inpressed, Money is really not the issue as fare as room , that's were I have issues, I have a Bridgport manuel machine
    but wanted to explore more with the cnc side of things,But I value evrthing and way everthing on other peoples experiances. I just thought I would pose the question on how good the machine is or isn't. I mostly do aluminum but would like to do steel and stainless once in while.I have a cowells bench top
    unit that has a knee action and is smaller than the sherling and this dude plows through stainless like butter, well anyway thanks for the input and keep it comeing.Regards. Chris

My advise is to get the X3 mill from Sieg industries. Sold by Lathemaster at www.Lathemaster.com.
    I have had machine for a short time (2 weeks now), I own the mini mill X2 model from HF and I won the Sherline.
    It SS is your target, need to say no more. X3 for you !
    The Sherline is great for small work on aluminum, bronze, copper, brass, gold, silver that are soft and machine easily.
    I have taken a few cuts in cast iron and mild steel. A lot of shaking going on!!!
    My Sherline is great for drilling pcb's and aluminum. Very precise, excellent motor and controller. As you can read, I have grown from one to the next as my desire to work on tougher and bigger materials grew. So, go straight to the X3, it is about 400 pounds and has square column. Very good machine for the money.
    I don't sell equipment, don't have any business from Lathemaster, not a politician.
    Just my humble opinion. Lastly, Mr. Carter from Cartertool is a great dealer, offers great support and advise. I would just give him my money. He, he.
    Jose.
    SuperDAD

You might have mentioned that you had a bridgeport to begin with. That does change the equation in my mind a bit.

This brigns up the question: Why not CNC the bridgeport and look at the TIAG or Mill/Drill as a manual replacement? Reallly! Given the right amount of upgrading the bridgeport will be light years ahead of any minimill as a CNC machine. Since this is a commonly done upgrade there are numerous options here.

My opinion is that each of the mills you mentioned is a really good machine when operated within its limits. Those limits are hobbiest and very small parts oriented, usually on soft materials.

The other thing to consdier is tooling! Might as well keep everything R8 if you already have a brigeport in house. Some of the small minimills support R8 so I'd limit looking at thoose. You really can't underestimate the cost of tooling.

thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by woodythx13
    Well guys it been an eye opener to say the least,I guess what I was really after is a more bius opinon on how well the machine ovrall is, I have owned the Maxnc and Sherline and wasn't to inpressed, Money is really not the issue as fare as room , that's were I have issues, I have a Bridgport manuel machine
    but wanted to explore more with the cnc side of things,But I value evrthing and way everthing on other peoples experiances. I just thought I would pose the question on how good the machine is or isn't. I mostly do aluminum but would like to do steel and stainless once in while.I have a cowells bench top
    unit that has a knee action and is smaller than the sherling and this dude plows through stainless like butter, well anyway thanks for the input and keep it comeing.Regards. Chris

Taig Mills

Once again, thanks for some interesting things to consider, retroing the Bridgeport is a good idea , and the sieg looks interesting, I visited there site and did not see a cnc version ? There are alot of large Bridgeport style cnc
    / manuel machines on the market these days, I think I was just looking to get a small machine to play with and more or less wanted to here some input regarding the Taig Mill, I need to check out the yahoo group for tiag and see what they have to say, I always like to get a opinion from a bias group , than from a group that everyone uses the machine you are inquiring about.
    Anyway I value all your input and again thanks for the time. Chris