586,408 active members*
2,931 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 7 123

150w LC1512 from G. Weike - Build Thread

The purpose of this thread is to document my entire experience purchasing a laser from China, as it happens, with the goal of (hopefully!) making the process a little easier for the next person.

So here goes...

Background:
    I own and operate an acrylic fabrication business... specifically products related to aquariums and aquarium filtration (NextReef Systems). We operate a CNC router, a CO2 laser from Universal, and a bunch of other equipment, and I also have a computer/engineering background... I have a high degree of familiarity with CNC and controllers.

I love our existing ULS laser, and if cost were no object, I'd purchase another one without hesitation. However, we need a machine in the 100-150w range, with a bed of at least 24x48 - their PLS range of machines fit the bill, but I'd be looking at about $65,000+ for one. The economics on that simply don't work for us...

Over the last year or so, I've been closely watching some of the American companies that bring in and support laser machines from China. I've also been working with a friend that scratch built a 4x8 machine from Chinese parts. One of my biggest complaints with the Chinese machines has always been the software and support, and a couple of these places have actually created their own controllers and software... and even offer retrofit kits.

So this is the plan... find the best machine I can to import, and set my expectations realistically. I expect to receive a machine that works, but I also expect it to have some quirks, and probably need to be tuned and dialed in. I expect that I will need to modify or improve some things, and I've budgeted for a replacement controller and software if I can't work with what's included. Worst case scenario is that I will have to rebuild a substantial part of the machine.

Search:
    I posted this thread about a month ago:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/laser_...50w_laser.html

I originally looked at the vendors here in the US - the two I talked to seemed very knowledgeable. Their prices on the machine we need are a good 1/4th the cost of a ULS machine. Honestly, if you have no electrical or CNC background, and just want something affordable that will work and be supported by someone on this continent, they're probably the way to go.

I also started searching site like Alibaba... and there are a TON of machines out there. It's amazing. You'll quickly figure out that a lot of them are the same machine with a different name (I think a lot of resellers claim to be manufacturers). I contacted about 10 different companies, and posted my thread on here as well.

After some correspondence, I narrowed it down to about 3 vendors (ExLas, Goldensign, and G. Weike) I was comfortable with - I also started to dig more deeply on those three. Lots of Google searches. Do not expect the websites for these vendors to have much information... or sometimes even exist... there is often more info on Alibaba.

I asked a lot of questions... specific questions... what controller, what tube, how specific things worked... the more you know before hand, the better questions you can ask. I also think it helps to make sure the salesperson knows you know what you're talking about... some of these places will try to tell you anything. If sense anything odd... pandering, dishonesty, etc... move on. I also looked at the machines companies posted on my query here.

Ask for pictures... same as above, ask for a LOT of detailed pictures and videos. I was especially interested to see how they set up the electronics and wiring - some were neat, clean and well laid out, some weren't... and that's an indication of attention to detail for me.

Decision:

I chose a machine from G. Weike - the LC1512

I've been working with Melody... and to date we've sent over 30 emails back and forth. She's been extremely helpful.

I chose the machine from GW for a few reasons. I like the components they use, I've read a decent amount of good things about their products, they sent a ton of pictures and videos, they answered all of my questions, and didn't hesitate to make the configuration changes I wanted.

As I looked more at the machines, I also realized this... the North American companies I'd looked at that are importing machines all import and resell machines from GW. That means a lot... I'm making the assumption that if these companies are willing to stand behind GW machines, they have to be decent. Buying the machine direct from GW is considerably less expensive.

Configuration:

LC1512 - 1500x1200mm cutting area. (Approx 47x59 inches)
    150w Reci Tube (Reci V8)
    Leetro 6535 DSP
    Stepper Driven
    Motorized bed
    Honeycomb / Knife Bar table
    Optional Rotary Tool (everyone gets a wine bottle next Christmas!)
    Auto Focus
    USB Mode (allows machine to read jobs off a memory stick)
    CW5000 chiller
    Over Temp Alarm
    Red Dot (in line with beam, not on the head)
    Yellow / Grey color scheme (matches my ULS machine!)

GW requires a 50% deposit, and is quoting me 10-14 days to ship (would be less than a week, but my custom color slows it down). We did the T/T this morning. Wish me luck!!

Two other notes: 1) Make sure your machine is FDA certified. You can get other ones into the US as demo units, but it's a pain. 2) Watch what tube you're quoted... the Reci V8 is 150w/180w Max... the V6 is 130w/150w Max... some places try to call the V6 their 150W tube.

That's a beast of a machine!

Could you tell us a bit about the importing process as well. i.e. your broker choice, shipping choice, and cost estimates.
    "The whole world must learn of our peaceful ways... by force!" - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by Propaganda View Post
    That's a beast of a machine!

Could you tell us a bit about the importing process as well. i.e. your broker choice, shipping choice, and cost estimates.
    They're handling shipping to the port in Tampa (CIF) - it was included in the price. I'm actually curious to see what else I end up having to pay on this end... :/

I would order spares with this machine
    Spare: Tube and power supply , motherboard , lcd panel , stepper motors x2 , stepper motor driver , full set belts , 6 mirrors, 3x stock lenses , 2 sets bearings and 2 red diode pointers.
    I would NOT let the chinese handle shipping , get a FOB price and appoint a shipping/clearing agent on your side to handle door to door shipping to you. You will NOT end up paying the cheap shipping costs the chinese give , it will most likely be $800-1200 more, and you might have documentation issues.

Hi Rodney,

Thanks for the info (and your posts, I spent several hours reading about your experiences with it all).

Spares - I'll definitely be doing that. My plan was to get the machine here, and then sort out what I can get domestically, what is completely unique, what I want to change out, etc... and then I'll place an order for another tube, and a pile of parts. Lenses and mirrors are already on the way.

Shipping - good point. I'll call my company here today and ask them what I'm looking at. I know there's going to be something to pay on this side if I let the mfr handle it, but it might be nice to have that as a known quantity.

Not much to update so far. Just waiting for my machine to get built!

I called our import/export company, and they told me to just let the manufacturer handle it. Has anyone else here in the US used a domestic company to handle the import?

Merry Christmas! - Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Asynchronism View Post
    Has anyone else here in the US used a domestic company to handle the import?
    Merry Christmas! - Dave
    Dave i used Panda logistics for importing and shipping to me (Boston). The have office in NY and over sea (ny office http: //www.pandalognyc.com/)

I had them do all the customs and paper work stuff, then deliver to me. They were most helpful any questions I had were always answered.

pete
    "press any key to continue....any other key to quit"

Thanks Pete... I remember seeing some of that in your thread, but I think I got distracted by all the pictures posted farther down, and never re-read it. Good to see what your breakdown was there, that's great info. I'll give them a call, and maybe another company we've used before a call as well this week.

I spoke with Melody @ G. Weike last night, and they already use Panda Logistics in NY for the transport. That makes it easy. Now I just wait... and wait...

Keep us updated, I am currently looking to buy the same machine basicly from
    jiekelaser. They quoted me the 150watt RECI laser with FIB to Tampa.

Personally I would love to buy a US made laser system but have you seen the cost of these systems ?!! A Kern Laser system 150 watt will set you back a minimum of 110,000.00 !! An imported system you can get for 5-7 thousand bucks, true I may have to buy three of these systems but I will also save 100K

Will do. If you're in the Tampa area, you're welcome to come see mine when it arrives. The three machines part sounds funny, but I'm actually considering just that. If/when this thing becomes critical, I'll purchase a second one as a backup, and potentially a third simply as a parts machine. For the same money, I can have one US machine, or three of these and an airplane...

I spoke with Melody at GW last night, she was kind enough to send over another buyer's costs to import. She also said my machine is nearly complete, and should be ready to ship possibly by the end of the week. She's also going to send some pics of mine... looking forward to seeing it all put together... will post when I get them...

That would be very cool ! I am in the Orlando area but I wouldnt mind the drive to check it out.

Curious, what kind of airplane ? Currently I am building a GP-4, Osprey Aircraft/ GP-4

Sounds good... I'll let you know when I have an ETA. The whole process is a bit outside of my comfort zone, and I'd have loved to see one in person first.

That's a great looking plane, I've looked at those a little bit before. I'm probably a couple years out from actually having the time to put into it, but it will definitely be some sort of light sport aircraft. I barely do anything outside of work at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Asynchronism View Post
    I spoke with Melody @ G. Weike last night, and they already use Panda Logistics in NY for the transport. That makes it easy. Now I just wait... and wait...
    Dave panda will deliver to you BUT. I had to call panda and ask them to do all the customs work. Otherwise i would have had to clear it through customs THEN panda would have delivered to me. If you want them to do customs you need to set it up with them, and make sure they have all paperwork, i doubt it was set up through Weike.

pete

Thanks, pete. Yeah, same here... I have to call if I want that done as well. I'm going to take a look at the documents they're sending over and I'll make a call from there. The guy in Dallas paid less than $200 to have it shipped to his door from the port in LA, that would be even easier.

*EDIT*
    I just called Panda. They said to wait until it ships and I have the container number, BOL, etc... and then give them a call. At that point they'll be able to go over everything, quote prices, arrange delivery, etc.

[QUOTE=A
    *EDIT*
    I just called Panda. They said to wait until it ships and I have the container number, BOL, etc... and then give them a call. At that point they'll be able to go over everything, quote prices, arrange delivery, etc.[/QUOTE]

Thats ok if you or someone filed the ISF Importer Security Filing form ?
    My understanding is this needs to be done 24 hr before loading on ship, or else there may be a fine. This is one of the forms that tripped me up.

sorry to bug ya ........lol pete

Quote Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
    Thats ok if you or someone filed the ISF Importer Security Filing form ?
    My understanding is this needs to be done 24 hr before loading on ship, or else there may be a fine. This is one of the forms that tripped me up.

sorry to bug ya ........lol pete
    Hi Peter,
    i watch on your post for long time,and i try to explain it in details,but no reply from you.ISF information,you can arrange by yourself or we fill everything from our side,the two way both workable
    we also have experienced customer in USA if you want to learn about,this is a small case,which shouldn't trip you up
    you can send me email [email protected] :cheers:

Smile About ISF and more

:wee:I think i should share more info about isf form and America importing tips to guys who are going to buy machines from China. Hope followings are helpful:

Things your side needs to do are as following:

1) you need to fill AMS/ ISF form and send that to your local customs yourself 48 hours before the ship departs.

The consignee body needs to have annual bond, if you have not, you can buy a one time bond your local.
    Last time, my American customer who deal with importing process all by himself gave me this link to buy bond, you can have a reference.

USImportBond (Customs Clearing, custom broker, CHB, Importing, import broker).

2) You need to pick up machines from the shipping company and do customs clearence after the machine arrives.

You should pay truck unload fee (about USD 100 depends on machine) to the shipping company

then

You need to bring the documents(packing list, invoice, isf sheet, bill of landing, passport) with you to the port customs .

If you think the process too complicated, you can hire a brocher who will help you with that.

But some of our customers do all these only by themselves.

As for the duty: My American customers told the HS code they used was duty free, guys who are interested can write to me to get the HS code info.

Things our side do:

1)We will ship the container. about a week before the ship arrives, our ship agent- will telephone you.

2)We will give you ISF form detail from us. In a ISF form, you need to fill in 12 pieces of info. Of which 10 come from us. We will e-mail you these info 48 hours before the ship departs.

3)We will give you the paperwork you need for customs clearence before the ship arrives, as packing list, invoice, B/L.

Guys who are interested in this can write to me. I'm willing to help more.

Melody

e-mail: [email protected]
    MSN: [email protected]

Thanks Melody!

In my case, I think I'm good with doing the paperwork myself. I am interested to see what they'll charge to truck it directly to my shop.

Page 1 of 7 123