586,489 active members*
2,351 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Replacing a Floppy drive on Fadal VMC 8030?

Question Replacing a Floppy drive on Fadal VMC 8030?

Hi everyone,

I found this forum when searching for information on replacing a floppy drive in our newly acquired Fadal VMC 8030. I believe the machine is from the late 90's. I'm not a machinist myself. I'm the company IT guy and have been asked to look into this.

The guys that use the machine have reported intermittent problems with the floppy drive on the VMC. Upon doing a bit of research, I found that there are USB alternatives. I will be running a RS232 connection from our main fabrication PC to the VMC, but we ideally want redundancy.

I have seen there are a few USB options. In particular, I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Floppy Drive -> USB conversion kits (see below link). My concern is since our VMC doesn't have any form of a conventional Windows operating system, this USB option may not be a plug-and-play solution like it's advertised.

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated!

Floppy to USB Upgrade Eliminate your need for 3 ½ floppies and 3 ½ disk drives!!!

Fadal offers a USB conversion kit (USB-0002) that is wired directly into the 1030 card. Once the kit is installed, enter simple commands at the "Enter Next Command" prompt and your off.
    Pat Grantz
    Director of Operations - PowerInterface iMPACTiq

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't suppose anyone can suggest somewhere this can be bought from? I had no luck in searching the part number...

That's because that part number is exclusive to MAG and Fadal Machining Centers.
    Go to MAG - The Global Machine Tool Manufacturer: MAG and login to the Online Store.
    Pat Grantz
    Director of Operations - PowerInterface iMPACTiq

We offer a USB kit and are very competitive in our pricing. It's a simple 2 minute plug & play installation and is very easy to use!

We offer free technical support over the phone if you have any issues. Feel free to give us a call if you'd like to place an order or have any questions. Have a good holiday!

-Shelvin
    (818) 678-9456
    [email protected]
    TheFadalParts.com
    Need help with your Fadal? Send me a message or visit www.TheFadalParts.com. We have over 25 years of experience at Fadal and offer FREE TECHNICAL SUPPORT OVER THE PHONE!

I just bought an emulator for my TRM. The TRM I have uses a standard 1.44 sony floppy drive for a PC, I tested it on my PC before ordering the emulator (which came in the mail today) cost about $50 US including shipping, from China (HK). I will install it after the Holidays when the Co. reopens. I have never used the floppy anyway, using the RS232 instead. I wanted to "Update" my machine while I could do it cheap.
    Here is the unit I bought:
    eBay - Floppy Emulator

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
    I just bought an emulator for my TRM. The TRM I have uses a standard 1.44 sony floppy drive for a PC, I tested it on my PC before ordering the emulator (which came in the mail today) cost about $50 US including shipping, from China (HK). I will install it after the Holidays when the Co. reopens. I have never used the floppy anyway, using the RS232 instead. I wanted to "Update" my machine while I could do it cheap.
    Here is the unit I bought:
    eBay - Floppy Emulator
    I'm curious if you've had a chance to try this yet?