586,094 active members*
3,971 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PlasmaCam settings

Hello,
    I'm using a plasma cam set up on a Samson table. The cutter I use is a Hypotherm Powermax 600 40amp. I've managed to cut great projects in the past and have been looking into cutting cleaner and faster so I followed some tips. Now, my nozzles are blowin' up(possible water problem) and I can't seem to dial height controls back in. I've cleared water from the line. What else am I missing?
    Please help production is suffering!

Moisture in your air system can definitely cause short consumable life. It is important that you drain your compressor tank often, and if you continue to get a lot of air line moisture you should consider installing a moisture trap and or moisture absorbing filters to the system. Also.....make sure you are using genuine consumable parts for your Hypertherm system....there are some aftermarket parts that are much less expensive, come in original looking packages (complete with Hypertherm logo!) that are Chinese copies.....they will exhibit poor cut quality and very short life. generally if the consumables were ordered online and were very low cost....they have a good chance of being illegal copies.

The specifications for cutting with your Powermax600 are listed in your operators manual.....use the mechanized cutting charts for the materials and thicknesses being cut....just as the manual suggests. Make sure you are using the shield that is designed for the machine torch....even if you are using a hand torch on your PlasmaCam machine.....the hand torch shield is designed for drag cutting by hand....and it will not cut as well as the machine torch shield when using a standoff.

If you provide me specifics (materials and thicknesses) I will be happy to help.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Tobiwan View Post
    Hello,
    I'm using a plasma cam set up on a Samson table. The cutter I use is a Hypotherm Powermax 600 40amp. I've managed to cut great projects in the past and have been looking into cutting cleaner and faster so I followed some tips. Now, my nozzles are blowin' up(possible water problem) and I can't seem to dial height controls back in. I've cleared water from the line. What else am I missing?
    Please help production is suffering!

Jim,
    Thanks for the response. Mostly I'm cutting 26-24ga galv. metal. I'm also doing some detail cutting mostly from 16gauge cold steel.
    There's a LOT of line between the compressor and the cutter nevertheless I have a motor guard M-30 filter about 10ft from the cutter and moisture catch right off the compressor and looking into a cheap line dryer. I've gone over the recommended setting and it seems they recommend very different settings.
    Currently using:
    120574 Electrode
    120606 Nozzle 35A
    220330 Nozzle 40a
    Recommend:
    120827 sheild
    120600 cap
    120826 Nozzle
    120573 Electrode
    120576 Swirl ring

Which is a better set up?