586,829 active members*
3,031 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 5 2345
    Not sure, doesn't really matter.....just make that bushing on the lathe and use something smaller than the tap drill...

--John

Did you have any problems with your serial port and THC? I'm frustrated as hell with mine.

xalky: Are you using an everlast plasma also?

Actually got it all working pretty well....just have the "torch ok" signal jumpered, but other than that i got it working good.

--John

No, I have a longevity machine. You can read my build log in this forum to get some details. I had a hell of a time getting serial ports working.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

This may help, this is from Ray at Everlast.

I will try to answer what I can. Not knowing what controller you have I can’t tell you exactly how to hook it up.
    Pins 1 and 2 are the torch switch, this activates the plasma cutter.

Pins 9 and 10 “OK to Move” are a N.O. contacts, sometimes referred to as “Dry contacts” this is a non electronic switch that closes when the pilot arc transfers to cutting arc. Sometimes referred to as “Arc OK”. Sometimes the controller uses this sometimes not.

Pins 5 and 7 are the undivided arc voltage, used by some controllersto adjust the height of the torch. This is the actual cutting voltage it is run through 2 -100K resistors to prevent arcing at the connector plug. Some controllers can use this as is, Depending on the impedance of the input. CandCNC controller and Torchmate cannot use this as is,most others can.
    Pins 4 and 6 are the divided arc voltage this is adjustable by a jumper on the board to either 1/16 or 1/50 the arc voltage, and also used by some controllers for torch height control. CandCNC can use this in 1/16 mode. The 1/50 voltage is hard to detect due to the low voltage and interference from the Hfstart. IE: 200 volts arc voltage would be 4 volts, if the torch voltage dropped 5 volts to 195 the divided voltage would be 3.9. so usually the 1/16 setting is preferred, the default setting is /50.
    Pin 3 is what some controller manufactures refer to as “Ground” this is connected directly to the work piece lead, which is actually a positive voltage. If the controller has a pin for ground this is probably the pin to use.

Tips, don’t connect anything directly to the output terminals or leads. Don’t connect anything from the controller to the chassis of the cutter, especially a ground lead. Don’t install any kind of converter or divider inside the machine. This usualy causes a fire.

Hope this helps, and feel free to call me if you have any questions. If I’m on the phone please leave a message and I’ll call you back. I don’t ordinarily return calls from caller ID with no message, as I don’t want to interrupt someone at work.

Yup. Thats the exact same pinout as my longevity machine. Tom at CandCNC didn't know what to do with the divided arc pins. I tried wiring them right to the Bladerunner THC control module and I fried it. Wish I'd seen your post 2 days ago. Tom at candc is helping me out. Good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by xalky View Post
    Yup. Thats the exact same pinout as my longevity machine. Tom at CandCNC didn't know what to do with the divided arc pins. I tried wiring them right to the Bladerunner THC control module and I fried it. Wish I'd seen your post 2 days ago. Tom at candc is helping me out. Good guy.
    I am getting ready to order a THC from CandCNC. I'm probably going to order the Everlast 60C plasma cutter, but I'm making sure I can get it to work properly before I order it. I have several Everlast Welders and they have been very good to me.

My question is how should the THC be wired to work properly?

you're gonna have to order the rav01 , which is an external voltage divider with the non standard connector, I believe its called the nsc01 connector. It's about $45 additional for the whole package to make it work with the everlast.

You should start a new thread for your build...I don't wanna hijack johns thread.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Incorrect xalky....all everlasts with the CNC port have an internal voltage divider. The DTC works ok using it....(and i say "ok" as in "ok"...not perfect) but i cant get the arc-ok signal to work properly....

--John

Quote Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
    Incorrect xalky....all everlasts with the CNC port have an internal voltage divider. The DTC works ok using it....(and i say "ok" as in "ok"...not perfect) but i cant get the arc-ok signal to work properly....

--John
    Are you using your internal voltage divider?

John I have a purchased a CandCNC LCTHC and I am trying wire it up to my Everlast PP50 plasma cutter. I have read your description and some of the other comments. Would you be kind enough to send me a photo of where exactly you connected the torch control in the plasma machine? Also did you ever figure out the issue with the ark ok? Is it something with your machine or inherent to these machines? Any other wiring help would be mcuh appreciated since I don't want to fry anything and electronics is not my forte.

rayzsurfer: I gave up and bought a hypertherm.

However, i had the everlast working good, just wire the arc-ok wires to a switch. This way you can just leave the switch closed and it will run good, if you want it to stop just open the switch.

--John

John, what about the torch voltage where did you connect that? Did you use the directions provided by seanmurphy or will I need one of those rav4 cards?

The card would defiantly be the way to go, but I just used the connector in the back of the everlast. A mating conector body comes with the everlast. Just wire that to the correct pins of the candcnc box....

--John

Thanks John, I am going to try that. I hate to keep through money at this thing. I had left it for a few months because of the time and money I was spending on it. So I picked it up again and thought of adding the THC, now another $500 in the hole and counting!

Again thanks.

Before you make any connections to ANY Chinese plasma cutter that has the CNC connector, you need to test each set of pins manually and with a meter. The LCTHC cannot take the 16:1 or the 50:1 divider options (only the new MP3000-DTHCII has the digital sender unit that will take the tiny analog levels and send them to the DTHC unit in noisy environments.n Even then I am not sure it is a good idea to use their internal divider if the unit uses HF start. The THC SENSOR REV 15 you got with your LCTHC has suppression on the card for HF and CD start units but it has to be in the Raw arc Volts. The so called raw arc on the CNC connector not directly connected (nor should it be because it would probably arc on the connector) it goes through two 100K resistors so it it actually divided voltage as soon as you hung a load on it. There have been mixed results from users trying to use the CNC connector. Seems there have been some cases where the pin outs do not match the later units. If you get raw volts (even with the 100K series resistors into our PWM module that comes with the DTHCII model it will blow the input. It is protected up to about 45 volts but the impedance at 50:1 is so high that the voltage doe3s not drop and you get the full RAW volts on the input to the module.

One thing we know for sure it is that just because there is a connector for CNC does not mean you can use it successfully with a PC based CNC control. We have seem the combo TIG and Plasma units cause every PC in the same immediate area (even the ones connected to other systems) freeze or reset when the torch fires.

There are major feature differences between the LCTHC and the MP3000-DTHCII . Here is a link to a chart to show the features per unit. The DTHCII torch height was design specifically to address the new generation of plasma cutters and access the new capabilities of those units.

Thanks for the advise Torchhead. I went with the LCTHC because of the price obviously. Is the
    MP3000 the way to go? Or will the RAV4 card make this work?

Quote Originally Posted by rayzsurfer View Post
    Thanks for the advise Torchhead. I went with the LCTHC because of the price obviously. Is the
    I'm one of those guys that learned the Chinese plasma lesson the hard way. If you want, read my build thread in this section. You'll get an idea of the pain I went thru trying to get a longevity combo tig/plasma unit to work. In the end I went with a hypertherm too, I have no regrets, except for the fact that I bought the Chinese machine before hand. Had I known the pain I was gonna be in for, I would have purchased a hypertherm right off the bat. I fried controller parts, computer power supplys , and wiped out memory sticks, and corrupted hard drives, trying to get that chicom plasma, and that's with tons of shielding and grounding. It was an insurmountable problem. Word to the wise.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I hear you but I don't want to lay out that kind of cash now. I changed from the PP60 which uses HF start to the PP50 which uses blowback start. That solved a lot of my HF issues and I have been able to get the PP50 to work, I just wanted to take it the next step and add control to my z axis. I end up screwing up a cut because the material warps and makes contact with the head.

Quote Originally Posted by rayzsurfer View Post
    The LCTCH is shipped with the equivalent of the RAV-01 (THC SENSOR ). RAV-01 is JUST a voltage filter and divider card for the DTHCII to use with plasma units with no internal voltage divider. The LCTHC is just a basic Torch Height Control (similar to other MACH based THC's on the market) and is aimed at hobby level builds that don't want or need the automation features (like the stored presets or the on screen controls in MACH you get with the MP3000 and DTHCII model.)

Page 4 of 5 2345