586,667 active members*
3,456 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 14 of 14 4121314
    It might work Brian. The only major issue you might run into is backlash, which I'm hoping will be mostly eliminated by the diy version.
    Andy
    CNC Kits - http://www.comptonsoft.com/cncweb/

I went ahead and created the basic design for the A axis. It bolts on to the table support. There are easier ways to build a rotary axis, but this design will give me a nice 1.5" through bore so I can feed stock through without having to cut it and waste material. This design uses the 6" chuck. The only reason I went with the 6" was because it had the largest through bore. I would really have preferred to go with the 5" chuck because it weighs half as much.

As was mentioned above, depending on the size of the part being made, the walls might need to be a bit taller to give better clearance. I intend to use it mainly for small stuff, so the size should work out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a_axis.jpg  
    Andy
    CNC Kits - http://www.comptonsoft.com/cncweb/

Andy
    Are you still making the kits for the LC50? I haven't seen any posts from you for quite some time.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Autopilot View Post
    Andy
    Are you still making the kits for the LC50? I haven't seen any posts from you for quite some time.

Haha! He's probably like me right now - over his head in reports, projects & exams! Oh well, at least the summer break is almost here. Finally I'll have some time to work on my CNC.

- Shawn

Building from these plans

Is anyone building from these plans?

If so, I need a little help on a item. would you please PM me.

Dan

I have one 9/10ths finished--may be able to help??

John Bell

Andy,

Are you using a 3-jaw or 4-jaw chuck for the A-axis? Isn't a 4-jaw better?
    snooper's second law: common sense isn't as common as we're led to believe...

Could Use Some Help

I am building this machine without the use of a CNC MACHINE and need two part cut on one, I live in Texas, about 100 miles from Dallas, if anyone in this area is building this machine and has a CNC UNIT, and would cut several parts for me please e-mail me at [email protected] - I will be glad to pay for this, Andy was going to do this for me, however I have not been able to get in touch with him for 5 weeks.
    Thanks
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan dimock View Post
    I am building this machine without the use of a CNC MACHINE and need two part cut on one, I live in Texas, about 100 miles from Dallas, if anyone in this area is building this machine and has a CNC UNIT, and would cut several parts for me please e-mail me at [email protected] - I will be glad to pay for this, Andy was going to do this for me, however I have not been able to get in touch with him for 5 weeks.
    Thanks
    Dan
    Dan i am building a modified joes machine using my woodshop and also with out the help of a cnc machine . what parts are you having trouble with, I might be able to help .
    I have finished the gantry and currently working on thr XYbed . Regards mjh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1020416.JPG   P1020418.JPG  

I am interested in this machine, since my friend has just built one. I was wondering if there was any reason why it could not be mounted vertically flat against the wall to save space i.e. so that the x axis was vertical? I would put some pulleys and counterweights to effectively make the gantry weightless. Has anyone ever tried this? Does anyone see any specific obvious problem with it?

Quote Originally Posted by s_a_black View Post
    I am interested in this machine, since my friend has just built one. I was wondering if there was any reason why it could not be mounted vertically flat against the wall to save space i.e. so that the x axis was vertical? I would put some pulleys and counterweights to effectively make the gantry weightless. Has anyone ever tried this? Does anyone see any specific obvious problem with it?

Check out this site.

http://www.otocoup.com/index_e.htm

Jason

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mike hide View Post
    Dan i am building a modified joes machine using my woodshop and also with out the help of a cnc machine . what parts are you having trouble with, I might be able to help .
    I have finished the gantry and currently working on thr XYbed . Regards mjh
    Hi Mike;
    ----I see that you made your own parts without a CNC Router. I would also like to do the same, but I can't seem to be able to get a printout of the parts with the dimensions. I have registered "E-Drawings" and can only manage to get a few dimensions at a time that seems to be a very slow and un-productive method....(one dimension at a time). How did you get the "plans" with dimensions to print out.

----Thanks Doug

Quote Originally Posted by fatham View Post
    Hi Mike;
    ----I see that you made your own parts without a CNC Router. I would also like to do the same, but I can't seem to be able to get a printout of the parts with the dimensions. I have registered "E-Drawings" and can only manage to get a few dimensions at a time that seems to be a very slow and un-productive method....(one dimension at a time). How did you get the "plans" with dimensions to print out.

----Thanks Doug
    Well I had the same problem Most of the files are pretty pictures and that is about all all the dimensional stuff is greyed out .

I also found the edrawings download thing of no help whatsoever . The drawings that did work for me are the "EASM" if you dig into those you can get the dimensional data you need . Unfortunately there are no dimensioned drawings per se. even so looking at the my shot of the gantry side the acme rod bearing housing looks a little strange because my original hole drillings were in the wrong place ...regards mike.

I can provide detailed measurement drawings of the files (not all at once) per request if needed. I know Lionclaw is busy with school stuff so I am offering this to the group to help out as long as Lionclaw doesn't object? :nono:

I will email them to whoever needs them but please don't ask for more than a few at a time since I do have a "real job".

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobLWeiss View Post
    I can provide detailed measurement drawings of the files (not all at once) per request if needed. I know Lionclaw is busy with school stuff so I am offering this to the group to help out as long as Lionclaw doesn't object? :nono:

I will email them to whoever needs them but please don't ask for more than a few at a time since I do have a "real job".

Bob
    Thanks Bob & Mike;

--I guess I should have either, stated or posted that I was interested in the dimensional info for "Joe's 2006" build. I am not sure if Joe has just the info (dimensional parts without parts kit) available or not, or if what I am trying to do is even possible.
    I am really interested in building Joe's machine. Now that I am retired and on a fixed income and with more spare time. I can only build if I can keep cost down.
    -- I have a good woodshop in my basement and think I would like to try and make this CNC machine to add to my tools.

As a result any info would help...getting parts here in southern Ontario is not as easy as you fellows in the USA.

Thanks....Doug

Hello Doug,

I built Andy's machine myself... I was comparing the two (Joe's) and the only difference that stood out was that Joe used 2 bars per side for the X axis instead of 1. I have had no issues on my machine with just 1 bar per side so I guess it's a user's preference.

I cut mostly wood around 1" to 3/4" thick and it goes through it with no problem at all at around 35 IPM. I haven't tried going faster yet because I still have to "tune" TurboCNC with my setup.

I have Joe's files as well and he has them for download on his site. Check his post for the address. He gives you the a number of different formats to choose from in terms of files so you should be able to get what you need without any major problems.

Good luck,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Lionclaw View Post
    I'm glad to do it. If it weren't for the help and contributions of others here on the CNCZone I would never have really gotten a start on this stuff.

I went ahead and put together some updated solidworks model packages.

This is my plywood version.
    http://www.comptonsoft.com/cnc/LC50PLY.zip

This a version dimensioned for .5" and .75" MDF with some minor modifications.
    http://www.comptonsoft.com/cnc/LC50MDF.zip

These are about 10mb each.
    Thanks for sharing these files!!!

Even though this is an older thread, I've read every post and have found it very helpful. Since this was your 2nd build, did you build another one after this or has this met most of your needs?

Page 14 of 14 4121314