586,119 active members*
3,586 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mikinimech > VFD and AC Motor replacement project
Page 11 of 17 910111213

New control panel

After seeing a control panel a friend of mine did for his homebuilt computer I decided I needed to copy his style a bit. This is clear acrylic painted and then lasered through and then letters painted in from the back. Makes for a shiny control panel.

Allen,

Thank you for both pictures. I've been thinking about how to fashion my control panel as well. This looks very nice!

I collecting my thoughts on the spindle replacement if Mechie's new driver doesn't help the current spindle's performance. I looked everywhere and couldn't find a 3hp AC motor that would fit on top so 2hp it must be it seems. Although after downloading the cad file of the Black Max 3hp I think it can be made to work but just barely. I don't know where Pete got that slim 4hp motor but that would be ideal in a 3hp size. Anyway, my question is; Is it necessary to upsize the VFD to larger than the motor when using single phase input? In other words, what size VFD is best for a 2hp motor? The price difference between a 2hp 3hp and 5hp VFD is pretty negligible. I was looking at the GS3 series on automationdirect.com since you can add a breaking resistor and feedback card if desired. I'm kind of digging the Y551-A772 Black Max motor there as well for a 2hp, it would fit a little better than the 3hp Y541-A772 but I think the 3hp might fit. I'm not ready to do the upgrade yet just getting my thoughts in order so I know what to look for.

SWATH,
    I've been following Allen's lead on the motor and VFD for my conversion. My 2HP on Bridgeport copy has no problem with heavy cuts. From Allen's comments above I'll be very happy with a true 2HP. The motor mounting is tight with the 2HP. I didn't want to deal with changing the lubrication system. The spindle cover is not a big deal. Just be aware that the top cover mounting holes are not square to the head casting before trimming. There are only a couple belts to choose from for the 2HP motor mounting flange. Be aware that you'll likely find that the original gas springs are shot. The manufacturer recommends running them with the rods down so that the seal stays in oil. I've run the motor and it sounds so sweet. I can hardly wait to turn a cutter and make chips again. I chose the C32 with the RJ45 instead of the C23 BOB. I'm hoping it will be easier and neater than all the individual wires. I'm in the process of installing it now along with the new axis drives. CNC4PC also has limit switches that plug into the RJ45 port on the C32.

I am using a 2hp single phase vfd with a 2hp motor no derating required. I believe you only need to derate if you are trying to use a 3 phase VFD with single phase input. Not necessary if you are using a single phase VFD. And also I think you will be surprised what 2 HP really looks like after your experience with the Mikini 3HP.

Thanks Allen, I'm just so sick of stalling and being afraid of stalling that I'm gunshy about not having enough torque for cutting hard steel.

So I bit the bullet and bought this Marathon inverter duty 2hp AC motor off ebay:
    y551-A772

Now I need to decide on a VFD. I was thinking about this one from the same site because I think I understand what is needed better.
    Durapulse G3 VFD

Here are the things I think I would need to add:

GS3-FB feedback card

a 10 pin cable for the encoder

braking resistor

Does that sound about right? I'm assuming the motor doesn't come with power wires, what kind of wire do I need for that?

I'm also contemplating the Hitachi WJ200. I don't know if it's better or does all the same stuff but it seems to be pretty popular and about the same price. I'm not sure it accepts external feedback though.

From the max motor speed it looks like I'll need a 1.5 pully to get the 1:1.5 ratio required for getting the speed up there to where it was. Where can I find those that use the same belt as the existing one.

Thoughts anyone?

Swath, I bought my pulley from these guys... it's 25mm wide, compared to Mikini's 20mm but i haven't seen any problems on my machine..

To Suit 25mm Wide Belt : Beltingonline.com, Supplier of power transmission and conveying products

You would have to figure out the belt length for the timing belt ....

SDP/SI
    pete

Thank's Pete, I'll look into it closer when the motor gets here since it may have a non-standard shaft size.

It looks like the Durapulse is the way to go. I called drivesdirect.com and they said the WJ200 does not accept encoder feedback and I would need the SJ700 (about 2.5x as much money) and the encoder feedback card (about $400-$500) and it does not come in single phase input anyway. The durapulse seems to have it all and is much cheaper overall, plus the breaking resistors are much cheaper than the Hitachi. Looks like total for the Durapulse G3 drive, feedback card, braking resistor, and encoder cable will be just under $500.

Attachment 188840
    Attachment 188842

This thing is a monster! The Mikini spindle motor feels like a little toy compared to this thing. I went to Lowes to look at wire I could to run to the motor. I was thinking stranded 10/3 or 12/3 10 AWG and running the 4th wire to ground the motor. I wondered if this wire should be shielded with foil or braid. Anyone know and if so where to find it?

Quote Originally Posted by SWATH View Post
    So I bit the bullet and bought this Marathon inverter duty 2hp AC motor off ebay:
    y551-A772

Now I need to decide on a VFD. I was thinking about this one from the same site because I think I understand what is needed better.
    Durapulse G3 VFD

Here are the things I think I would need to add:

GS3-FB feedback card

a 10 pin cable for the encoder

braking resistor

Does that sound about right? I'm assuming the motor doesn't come with power wires, what kind of wire do I need for that?

I'm also contemplating the Hitachi WJ200. I don't know if it's better or does all the same stuff but it seems to be pretty popular and about the same price. I'm not sure it accepts external feedback though.

From the max motor speed it looks like I'll need a 1.5 pully to get the 1:1.5 ratio required for getting the speed up there to where it was. Where can I find those that use the same belt as the existing one.

Thoughts anyone?
    SWATH,

I can only assume that you plan to use the motor on a Bridgeport size machine or smaller milling machine. If that is correct then you can run the motor 1:1 with the spindle. If you run the motor with a gear ratio between it and the spindle then the encoder is basically worthless. A variable frequency drive is specifically designed for the purpose of controlling AC motor speed. A VFD enables you to alter the frequency of the current but, the current itself is full power. Therefore at 5Hz the motor will produce full torque while rotating at a reduce speed. I have a new Delta brand VFD model VFD-B and the encoder feedback board for it. If you are interested then send me a PM.

Most VFDs rated at 3 HP and under do not require a braking resistor. They use DC injection for braking and they are very effective.

RFB
    Obama's Miracle > One pill will treat all of the old folk's health problems

I went to Lowes to look at wire I could to run to the motor. I was thinking stranded 10/3 or 12/3 10 AWG and running the 4th wire to ground the motor. I wondered if this wire should be shielded with foil or braid. Anyone know and if so where to find it?
    An alternative is Liquid-seal flex conduit with MTW/TEW single conductor stranded or equiv, tightly twist the 3 motor conductors and run a ground alongside.
    14G would be OK for a 2hp motor. Not only shields the cable but offers protection out on the machine.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks Al, I looked at that while I was there. What about noise shielding? Could a metallic shielding help contain or reduce emitted noise from the wires? I ask because of the encoder cables. I won't run them along side the power cables if I can help it but at some point they will be near each other.

About the pulley ratio, I'm still confused about why the encoder would not work with anything but a 1:1 ratio. The encoder sends signal to the VFD to monitor RPM and the VFD adjusts as needed. I don't see how a 1.5:1 ratio would negate this interaction as I'm not directly taking RPM measurements from the VFD and Mach3 has a pulley ratio selection.

Liquid-seal METALLIC type offers shielding, the outer sheath is (or should be) at ground.
    Is the motor 2 pole or 4?
    OK I see it is 4 pole, the specs for the shaft size encoder etc is on the Automation Direct site.
    Al.

Albert E.

4 pole.

Ok I see it at home depot's website. Looks like PVC conduit but has a steel shielding inside.
    AFC Cable Systems 1/2 in. x 25 ft. Liquidtight Flexible Steel Conduit-6202-22-00 at The Home Depot

4 pole.

Ok I see it at home depot's website. Looks like PVC conduit but has a steel shielding inside.
    Yes, make sure you get the 1/2" conduit fittings to match.
    Al.

Albert E.

Ordered the vfd and misc things. It almost seems like I'm jumping in without knowing full well what I'm doing but I have to make it happen sooner than later. I'll start my own thread when it's time.

Just fyi, I measured the weight of each has strut and they are right at 40lbs for a total of 80lbs of assistance. The BLDC motor is 22lbs and the AC inverter duty motor is right at 70lbs. I'll try to keep the same struts but I might need to boost them up to 65lb each to compensate.

So far I have no idea how to program the vfd or even how it communicates with the pc or mach but I figure those are just details right now. I might try to get it to work with the mikini front panel as I haven't had problems with that that I know of. I would also like to add a load meter and rpm input to mach possibly by splicing in some data from the encoder but I'll have to figure that stuff out when I get there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    warmachinellc.com

Has anybody had trouble with their vfd on gfci breaker? Mine trips when I press run.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    warmachinellc.com

Anyone know the pin outs to the spindle driver off the Mikini front panel? I would like to use them for the VFD if possible. The VFD is running awesome by the way. As soon as I get organized I'll start a detailed thread about it. Also is it possible to tweak the existing load meter to use with the AC/VFD retrofit?

I am curious as well. There are very few connections to the spindle driver board on the machine, and I am wondering how both Mach and the front screen are supported... I want to replace the driver but keep the motor and the front panel functions if I can - that's the goal. I will go without the front panel if it comes to it, though!
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Page 11 of 17 910111213