586,114 active members*
3,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Just upgraded software,

Just upgraded software,

Just finished ordering my X5 level 2 with solids and entry lathe, from v9. 1 year of maintenance gets me the new x6 in a few weeks and the expected x7 later next year.

Has anyone else gone this route, and if so, how was the learning curve with the new changes??? I can have 5 days of basics training with the purchase, will this be worth the time to invest??

p.s. Im broke, anyone want to buy a kidney???? LOL

Gary

Yes, gone the same route. The time training is worth it, you'll be much faster getting things done. Without it and you may eventually figure some of the new tricks out, but it'll slow you down alot.

I remember using v8 back in school (~03), then never got to use MasterCAM until '10 when I started my current job. We used X4, now X5 and I found that the fundamentals were applicable, but not having extensive experience, I had no trouble learning to use it again.

However, we recently hired a new employee who used v9.1 for a long time and is having alot of trouble picking up X5. I don't think he's all that managment thinks he is (he's got an associates in machining...whatever), but nonetheless, he's having trouble.

The basics of drawing things seem ok, but he's having trouble with the new toolpaths and lead in/out (which I don't think he understands at all).

Just some things for you to think about with training.

The basic Mastercam features are still operational, some features have been combined. Many new features have been added. I started on V8, and currently own the entire up to date package (mill L3, multiaxis, lathe, solids). I used to work for a distributor in the v9-vX update era, I used to train programmers and at the time, was primarily teaching update training for v9-vx. To be completely honest, I found it easier to teach vX to people who had no experience at all rather than people who had v9 experience.

The reason for that lies in people themselves and their habits. in all honesty vX+ (ie vX to vX6) is MUCH more powerful than v9, faster to draw geometry, faster to create surfaces and solids, much more efficient toolpathing, and quicker programming.

Take full advantage of the training, and purchase more if you need it. dont balk at the cost... Your large capital investment wont make you the money it should if you struggle to use it. It would be like buying a 750,000 five axis mill without a probe. Or buying a 250,000 dollar milling machine with a $5000 tooling budget, it just doesnt make sense.

I also definetly recommend purchasing the tutorial books if they were not included in the sale.