586,075 active members*
3,967 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser cutting laser thickness and software

Hello,
    I* am doing laser cutting with multiple coloured designes on a layer. When I cut them, due to the width of the laser, there is a gap between the pieces when assembled. I have looked at other peoples work but this doesn't
    seem to be the case with them. I line them up exact in the software when they are being cut and have also over sized them to try get rid of the gap, but this is an issue as it can mean that they are accidentally made too big sometimes so then need sanding. I want them to fit tight like a jigsaw would.

Also I was wondering if there is any other easily available software for laser cutting as I dont like the one that came with the machine. I have newlydraw.

hankyou
    Amy

When trying to do that tight inlay work, the only way to get it "perfect" (that I know of) is to compensate for the kerf. You'll need to figure out your spot size to do this, and some work on the drawings.

I usually break my drawing into pieces, and then offset the individual pieces by 1/2 of the kerf (inside piece bigger, outside piece smaller). Depending on thickness and focal length, you can also try cutting the inner piece upside down to compensate for the beams's cone.

If you're randomly getting spots tighter than others, it could be machine accuracy, or beam quality... and may, unfortunately, require a little hand finishing.

I've never seen laser cut inlay look perfect...

I suspected so, its just a pain! Wish there was an easier way. Dont suppose you know any other good cutting software? Im not keen on newly draw as you canno't rotate things to make minor adjustments.

Thanks
    A

I've been using Corel Draw X5 for a while now, and it's pretty good for drawing parts for the laser. Quite powerful, and far simpler than Adobe Illustrator. Copies sell on eBay for around $100. For what you've described, I use the contour function to draw those slightly larger lines.

You might also look at InkScape - it's a free vector drawing program. I've used that before as well, but I don't know what formats it will export to...

Corel is the best option, and importing dxf's to Newlydraw works great.

The amount you need to apply as a contour depends on the material, but i would suggest 0.02 - 0.04 mm as a starting point.

Zax.

Use a CNC Router and don't have problems like that. Seriously, with the laser cutting machine you will never get perfect matching pieces. Sad but true...