586,075 active members*
4,515 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post Knowledge Base for newbies

Hello everyone.

Being completely new to Mach3 and having so many questions to ask, I don't even know where to start. I'd like to keep this thread based on a Newbies question and the right answer. So many times the subject will get off topic that it's hard or even impossible to get the right answer. I have spent hours on end here trying to find some of the answers but to no avail.

At times it seems to be virtually impossible to get machinery and electronics to work in sync together with out the wonderful knowledge you folks being to this Forum. Thank You!

I've watched the tutorials, I've read the manual. And they seemed to be based on the fact that you have a lot of Pre Knowledge in Mach 3!! Active high, active low???? Greek to me as I'm a newbe in Mach 3.

Is there a Knowledge base for dummies like me and a lot of us new at this?

I'm still trying to figure out how to input my table size in Mach 3 as described in the Video tutorial. Can this be done and can you set up the limits in the software so you don't crash your machine without limit switches?
    Example machining area of the table is 28" wide, 36" deep, with a Z height of 4"

Motor tuning.. I try to tune my motors based on the steps I have established but the motors don't turn as described it the video tutorial. Aren't the motors supposed to turn when you move the velocity slider? Nothing happens when I do. Is there an easy fix for this?

My motors start to move then make a growling noise, or they move but make a ticking (clicking) noise.

Us Newbies or (dummies if that's what you want to call us):stickpoke need all the help we can get from the Pros here on the Forum. Without you guys it just wouldn't happen!!

This is just a few of the many questions we would like to ask so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisBarclay View Post
    Being completely new to Mach3 and having so many questions to ask, I don't even know where to start. So many times the subject will get off topic that it's hard or even impossible to get the right answer.
    At times it seems to be virtually impossible to get machinery and to work in sync together with out the wonderful knowledge you folks being to this Forum. Thank You!
    And they seemed to be based on the fact that you have a lot of Pre Knowledge in Mach 3!! Active high, active low???? Greek to me as I'm a newbe in Mach 3.

That is is just a few of the many questions we would like to ask so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Curtis
    I think that one of the things that has to be realized is that CNC control as a DIY hobby or as a profession, covers many disciplines, the knowledge of which does not come that fast, especially if your background is not happen to be tied to any one of the allied trade or professions.
    Typically disciplines cover Electrical, Industrial Electronics (PLC, Servo, Stepper, integration), Mechanics, Pneumatics, Hydraulics to name a few.
    Even for someone that does this for a living, any new project can be a challenge.
    This is often aggravated in the DIY world to some degree due to every aspect of a machine being put together piecemeal and items are sourced from many different suppliers and then have to be married together.
    This makes it that much harder to describe a defined route or road map for a beginner to take.
    This is why most questions have to be answered on a case by case basis.
    That would be my consensus anyway.
    The CNCzone is one big knowledge base
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hello everyone.

Curtis
    Not that I'm aware of.

I'm still trying to figure out how to input my table size in Mach 3 as described in the Video tutorial. Can this be done and can you set up the limits in the software so you don't crash your machine without limit switches? Example machining area of the table is 28" wide, 36" deep, with a Z height of 4"
    Yes, but it's easier if you have home switches so Mach3 "knows" where the machine limits actually are. Without home switches, you'll want to move the machine to a repeatable "home" position and "reference" the axis at this location each time you use Mach3. This is the only way that Mach3 will actually know where you're limits are. In the following examples, this "reference" location would be the lower limit of your machining area, X zero and Y zero.

You go to Config>Homing/Limits to set up your softlimits. Without knowing specifics of the machine, it's a bit hard to give an accurate example. But say your X axis is capable of cutting from 0 to 28, and has some extra travel at each end, you might set your X min to-0.5, and the X max to 28.5. Y is similar.
    The Z is a bit different, as the top of the Z travel is typically set to 0, so your Z max is 0, and you might set your softlimit max to -0.5. The Z min is even trickier, as it can vary depending on workpiece height and tool length. In reality, a -Z limit will not prevent a crash, so just set it to the bottom of your travel, or -4.0. If you try to set it to prevent tool crashes, it will most likely interfere with your work.

Motor tuning.. I try to tune my motors based on the steps I have established but the motors don't turn as described it the video tutorial. Aren't the motors supposed to turn when you move the velocity slider?
    No, they're not.

Is there an easy fix for this?
    Yes, watch the video again. I just watched it to make sure, and Art specifically says to use the up and down arrow keys to spin the motors, as I told you in a different thread. Not once did I hear that moving the slider would spin the motors. You may have interpreted that way, but that's not what was said.

My motors start to move then make a growling noise, or they move but make a ticking (clicking) noise.
    Many things can cause growling and other noises.

With inexpensive drives, it can be resonance. Increasing the microstepping amount can sometimes decrease resonance. Changing the accel rate can sometimes reduce resonance. Sometimes a mechanical damper is needed.
    Dampers

With problems like that, the more info you can provide the better. All details of the drive system, from power supply to what screws you're using, and everything in between. Videos can be very helpful.

As for ticking noises, often it can be caused by background processes running in the PC. They could also be mechanical.

There are so many possible combinations of hardware and electronics available, that without every bit of information, remote diagnoses is difficult.

Feel free to ask any question you may have, and I'll do my best to answer them.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you for the response Gerry,

The example I gave in the first post was the table I'm planing to build. What I'm using for now to setup and learn how to use Mach 3 is a Sherline milling machine. Sherline doesn't use limit switches on their cnc models was why I asked about setting up Mach 3 without them.

Sherline 2000/2010 Mills

I bought the mill with cnc mounts but that's all, no electronics.

For the electronics I bought the Kelinginc 3 axis kit;

CNC 3 Axis Stepper Motor Kit with 425 oz-in motor and KL-4030
    Bipolar Driver with 36V /9.7A Power Supply (110V/220VAC)

(3) 425 oz-in stepping motors, NEMA 23
    (3) Drivers (3.0Amp 24-40 Volts, 1-1/64 micro stepping)
    (1) 36VDC/ 9.7A Power Supply 110VAC/220VAC
    (1) Breakout board
    (1) 5V power supply

It's the inch model with 20 tpi lead screws so it should be 32000 steps per.

The one thing I did do to improve performance was I switched out computers. The computer I was using was an old Dell with XP Pro, to a faster Dell with Win 7.

Now I notice alot of the screen sets don't work with Win 7. Also the loader screen loads my profile to look like this;

Photobucket

It doesn't do this on the XP.
    I'm always having a PICNIC....Problem In Chair Not In Computer!

Now I notice alot of the screen sets don't work with Win 7.
    Windows 7 should have no effect at all on screen sets. When you say they don't work, what exactly do you mean?

To fix what you're seeing in the pic, turn on "Auto Screen Enlarge" in General Config, and restart Mach3.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Windows 7 should have no effect at all on screen sets. When you say they don't work, what exactly do you mean?

To fix what you're seeing in the pic, turn on "Auto Screen Enlarge" in General Config, and restart Mach3.
    Thanks Gerry,

"Auto Screen Enlarge" was checked but "Hi Res Screens" wasn't so I checked it. Problem fixed.

Again my bad, just had another PICNIC!!(chair) I downloaded your "Router" screen set but I put the bitmaps in the wrong folder. I'm using the old Dell XP as a reference and I did the same thing on the other set.

Merry Christmas to you and yours Gerry.

Again my bad, just had another PICNIC!!(chair) I downloaded your "Router" screen set but I put the bitmaps in the wrong folder.
    You might find this one to be much better.
    The CNC Woodworker - Mach3 Aqua

Fwiw, I use an old Dell 1Ghz PIII to run my router, and it works fine.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You might find this one to be much better.
    The CNC Woodworker - Mach3 Aqua

Fwiw, I use an old Dell 1Ghz PIII to run my router, and it works fine.
    Thanks Gerry,

I like the Mach3 Aqua but your 2010 screenset fits my needs a lot better so I purchased it this morning. Can the buttons be modified to look like the Aqua?

I have the same type of Dell. In your opinion would Mach3 work better in Windows7 or XP Pro. It's my old desktop. What I want to do is a clean install with 7 or XP Pro. The computer is going to be dedicated to Mach3 only, with nothing else installed.

Computer is a;

Pentium (R) 4
    2.20 Ghz
    640MB of RAM

Can the buttons be modified to look like the Aqua?
    Maybe if you're really good with Photoshop and have about 40 hours to kill.

I don't own a copy of Windows 7, so can't answer that accurately, but my guess would be XP.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset