586,636 active members*
3,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thumbs up Alibrie Licensing stops work

I have been a hardcore user of Alibre for over 5 years, it has been a fantasitc mprogram for what I needed. We are a very small R&D shop who's income fulucuates far more than we like but we are able to keep most things going. When I bought it I was assured that should I ever have to drop my maintenance that I would be able to keep what ever version that was current when maintenance ran out. I understand maintenance and having to pay penalties for deciding not to renew at this time.

A couple of months(?) when V12 was released I moved up as was normal on my Office and design stations. This morning after fight with a Virus infection I tried to bring up Alibre and it failed . I brought out my laptop and it failed to with the message that my maintenance was not current. ( I used to have 5 licenses athen they cut it to 3), I am the only designer/user in our small shop. As of now I have 5 years of models that I can not get to and work that needs to be done and I feel really threatened by this change in policy and treatment.

I have a call into my Rep but have not gotten an answer. If this is truly the way the Alibre is going to operate, then I can not recommend them for any small business that is trying to grow.

I know that they are trying to balance their income but if they damage mine indoing so then they are not good business partners. Has anyone else had this problem.?

I've had a similar issue.

If you take either of your computers off the internet, do they still not work?

You can have your "license" removed at Alibre so you can have new license installed. IE, new computer, remove the old computer from licenses list.

I run my alibre on three computers. My desktop, design laptop and some times and additional travel laptop. I'm very thankful that Alibre allows for me to do this. I hate the dongle stuff. I use MecSoft for my CAM and have to carry the dongle with me.

Good luck with your license issue. I'm sure you'll get it fixed. Damn virus.

When I checked my account it says that there are no licenses assigned to me. Very strange. I will try disconnecting my computers from the network.

Thanks and have a merry christmas

Lowell

My understanding is if you let your maintenance lapse, when your current license expires, you will be issued a permanent license. Have not had to figure out what is involved in getting this permanent license yet myself. Bad time of year for you to have to deal with this but I'm confident they will make good on it.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by scudzuki View Post
    My understanding is if you let your maintenance lapse, when your current license expires, you will be issued a permanent license.
    That is definitely not how it was explained to me this morning when talking to tech support. Alibre claims on their website you do not have to pay maintenance to use the software indefinitely. However, you must rely on their good faith to issue you a new activation key each time you replace hardware.

Good faith and software companies go together like a screen door on a submarine.

I went through this same scenario with PLC programming software. The company would not issue a replacement key unless we bought the latest version. Never going there again.

Doug

I should have came back on line. Alibre support got me going early Monday morning and everything is cool. They were very good to work with.

Thanks for all the replies

Lowell