586,033 active members*
3,596 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

bending and rolling

Hi guys, I lost a video and the name with it of a small machine that uses rollers to bend strips. what I need to do is bend the edges about 3/4 and roll the formed shape with a radius. any clues about the machine I'm looking for?

julio cesar

How thick is the material? What is it?
    3/4 what? You will almost always end up with a radius, and will gain some material length in any bend.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

mild steel, the bend line is about 3/4 and the radius is very small, the material is about 5mm. the piece can be made using a pressbrake and then rolled, but the guy who wants to make them doesn't have any machines and want to keep the cost down, the machine I'm looking for is well capable to do it, just cant remember the name or the manufacturer.

julio cesar

ps.: the attached image is a sample, it should be bent to the profile and then rolled to the flat side, leaving the flanges on the outside
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sheetmetal.jpg  

If you want round holes, that close to the edge, you will need to machine the holes after bending.
    Material flows in the bend, and distortions will occur if weakened by holes, as in your sketch.

Will it need rolling at all? Go and discuss with a sheetmetal shop.

You will need a quite sturdy press to bend 5mm thick material with a very sharp bend in mild steel.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

I know about the weak and deformed holes, they can be machined afterwards. I think the material can have smaller thickness, the piece is for old machines and the manufacturer doesn't make any spares anymore. it need rolling, this piece is an internal panel for a grass bale machine.