586,547 active members*
3,163 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > G0602 Lathe lead screw deflection

G0602 Lathe lead screw deflection

Hello all. I am relatively new here, and have only ever made one other post.

The problem I am having with the G0602 lathe...When I engage the half-nuts, the bottom nut engages first, before the lever pops into detend position, causing the leadscrew to deflect 25 thousandths upward, and you can hear the bearing groan a bit when it does. Is this normal? Acceptable? Thank you.

Quick bit about me...

I currently own a G0704 mill which I just finished converting to CNC...very capable mahcine... and very fun to operate. Thanks to Hoss and everyone else who posts...could not have done it without all of the prior knowledge on this forum. I also I have an Enco (Rf-31), as well as the G0602 lathe. I will post more info about myslef and the machines with (hopefully) a few photos tomorrow. I just wanted to get the question out before I go to sleep.

Again, thank you

Don

You just need to loosen and align the leadscrew, apron, and rear leadscrew bearing.

Adjusting the rear bearing will allow the rear of the screw to be raised or lowered. You of course want it parallel with the ways. I cheated, I just loosened the bearing and moved my saddle all the way to the tail end then engaged the lever then tightened the bearing bolts.

Loosen the apron bolts and that will allow you to sligntly move the apron and nut in and out and change the angle some. I loosened then engaged the handle then snugged the bolts and tried it in several places.

My leadscrew was slightly warped but it works ver smooth after I adjusted those two items.

Oh, the two half nuts can be adjusted as well but I hadn't messed with mine at all because the above took care of it.

Richard