586,369 active members*
3,348 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Problem with loadning program into Fanuc OT

Problem with loadning program into Fanuc OT

Hello

I can't get the program from the PC to the CNC (fanuc OT model B).

The way i trying to do it is the following:
    1. edit mode
    2. prgrm button
    3. key in address O
    4. key in program number
    5. hit input
    LSK starts flashing
    6. start sending from the pc
    The Pc says that the program has been sent successfully, but LSK is still flashing and nothing happens.
    Shouldn't the LSK stop flashing when the CNC has read the first %-sign

If I try to registering a program to memory using MDI key.
    1. edit mode
    2. prgrm button
    3. key in address O
    4. key in program number
    5. hit insert key
    Doesn't work, nothing happens!

If a try to delete an existing program, that doesn't work either.
    1. edit mode
    2. prgrm button
    3. key in address O
    4. key in program number
    5. hit Delete key
    Does not work, nothing happens!

Its almost like there exist an extra program protection parameter apart from the program protection key.

I have no problem getting program out of the CNC.
    I have also tried to upload programs I have downloaded from the CNC but without any luck.

The program and setting I use DNC software. CNC and DNC settings for Fanuc 0T.
    The program I'm trying to upload http://ajden.se/O0600.nc

to receive programs in CNC machine from PC you just need to press READ on CNC machine then send from the PC immediately after.

for your first method after typing program number you press insert not input. but that is to create a new program anyway not to receive data from PC.

second method is same as first, creating new program. that must work as long as the write protect key is off. if on you will receive alarm 'write protected'

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    to receive programs in CNC machine from PC you just need to press READ on CNC machine then send from the PC immediately after.

for your first method after typing program number you press insert not input. but that is to create a new program anyway not to receive data from PC.

second method is same as first, creating new program. that must work as long as the write protect key is off. if on you will receive alarm 'write protected'
    A button READ doesn't exist on my machine, the manual says that I should use INPUT.

If I press INPUT in prgrm mode, LSK starts flashing, and then I send from the PC. The PC say the program has been sent successfully. But nothing happens in the CNC, the LSK just keeps flashing and no new program appears.

Can it be a hardware problem?
    It has been moved after the last time it worked.

Check the cable, I prefer to use the 3 wire cable with the H.W. handshake jumpered.
    Al.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Check the cable, I prefer to use the 3 wire cable with the H.W. handshake jumpered.
    Al.
    I made a new cable but no improvement, still no new program in the CNC.

//Per

Quote Originally Posted by Ajden View Post
    Hello

If I try to registering a program to memory using MDI key.
    1. edit mode
    2. prgrm button
    3. key in address O
    4. key in program number
    5. hit insert key
    Doesn't work, nothing happens!

The program and setting I use DNC software. CNC and DNC settings for Fanuc 0T.
    The program I'm trying to upload http://ajden.se/O0600.nc
    Ajden,
    Given that you can't register a program at the control via the keypad , I'd say that the issue is not related exactly to RS232 comms. I'd check via Diagnostics and the PMC ladder, if its viewable on your control; its not available on all Series "O" controls, to see if the Write Protect switch is actually off or not.

Looking at your software settings I have the following comments:

1. Clearly the system must work, as you have indicated that its worked before moving the machine. However, in my opinion it works only because of the relatively slow Baud Rate and No Handshaking. Slow the Baud Rate down enough and the Uart will be able to keep up without the Input Buffer overflowing irrespective of data flow control

2. I find it curious that the software uses characters 11 (Vertical Tab) and 13 (Carriage Return) as Xon Xoff respectively. When using Software Handshaking (Xon, Xoff), with a Windows application set to use Software Handshaking, the normal handshaking characters, Xon (DC1 - Ascii 17) and Xoff (DC3 - Ascii 19), are not seen by the software application, but are interpreted at system level by the Uart. This will always be faster and more reliable than trying to control the data flow in software, where the software is taking care of other tasks.

3. Characters 11 and 13 are not transmitted by the CNC control in relation to the status of the buffer. However, as the software has Handshaking set to None, this would seem irrelevant; I find these settings confusing.

4. In the suggested parameter settings of #0002, its shows bit 0 = 0 for 1 Stop Bit, yet in the software settings it states that 2 Stop Bits be used. Incorrect Stop Bit settings will not stop the data from being transferred, its just a dogy way of going about it.

5. When using Software Handshaking with the conventional control characters being handled by the Uart, you may sometimes experience a P/S 087. This is generally caused by the Serial Port of the PC not being able to respond quickly enough to an Xoff (DC3) character, and in most cases can be remedied by adjusting the FIFO settings of the port. However, if this error does occur, and can't be fixed by FIFO settings, Hardware Handshaking (RTS/CTS) can also be used, and is always more reliable, particularly when using the upper end of the Baud Rate, as the data flow is controlled by a voltage change on the Handshake lines.

I have my own Editor/Comms package, but its not a free application. However, there are numerous free packages available via the Internet, one being OneCNC that many on this Forum seem to use successfully. I've looked at it and it uses conventional protocol.

I'd download a copy of OneCNC, and although a repeat of what Al_The_Man has already suggested, use the following settings and cable configuration. Loopback of the Hardware lines at the PC end are not required, but will not hurt if you configure the cable that way. If your file download to the control still does not work (after checking that the Write Protect is actually off), then at least you can discount Cable, Parameter and Software settings and look more closely for an issue with the control. To further check that data is actually getting to the DB25 connecter at the control, purchase an RS232 test plug and connect between the cable and the control. This is a device available from most good electronic shops, or over the Internet, for not much money. The device has LEDS that can be monitored to determine activity on the various Data and Control lines. Some PCs use a 9 line ribbon cable from the Serial Adapter, if not mounted directly on the Motherboard, and if this has become disconnected, you can have the impression that data is being sent successfully when in fact its not actually reaching the data cable connecting the PC to the control. However, all of this is a bit irrelevant to your problem of not being able to register a program via Edit Mode, which points to a control issue and perhaps associated to the Write Protect switch in some way.

Parameter Settings
    Bit 0 = 1 (I/O = 0 on Setting Page)
    Bit 2 = 0

#552 = 10 (4800 Baud - Starting Point)

Setting Page Settings
    I/O = 0
    ISO Format

Xon Xoff Handshaking cable configuration

Machine Side ---------------------------------- PC Side
    DB25 Male Connecter ---------------- DB25 Female -------- DB9 Female
    1 Cable Shield ------------------------ Not Connected ----- Not Connected
    2 --------------------------------------------- 3 --------------------- 2
    3 --------------------------------------------- 2 --------------------- 3
    | Bridged

|
    8 All Bridged
    |

7 --------------------------------------------- 7 -------------------- 5

PC Software Settings
    Handshake Method = Software - Xon Xoff
    Baud Rate = 4800 (Suggested starting point - same as CNC Control Setting)
    Parity = Even
    Data Bits = 7
    Stop Bits = 2
    First Lines = %
    Last Lines = %

OneCNC software, as is the case with mine, can be set to initiate the file transfer at the control. After getting the machine side ready to receive a file, when the Input button on the control is pressed, at least one DC1 (Xon) character is output by the control. This triggers the software to start sending the file. You can also use the Serial tester, referred to earlier, to determine if there are any control characters being transmitted when the Input button is pressed.

Regards,

Bill

Your "LSK" symbol is blinking, so the control is trying to read data. The "LSK" symbol is supposed to go off when it receives the first Line-Feed character (ASCII 10, or Hex 0A). All Fanuc controls ignore ALL data until the first Line-Feed is received. After that, it sees the LF characters as "end-of-block" characters. Be sure that your DNC software is sending at least one LF before the first block (after the percent sign) and an LF after each block of data.

If your DNC software is sending Carriage Return characters instead (ASCII 13, or Hex 0D), then what you describe is likely to happen. Your DNC software is receiving data from the CNC properly, so I would guess that the CNC has the ability to send ISO or ASCII tape codes.

Some Fanuc controls don't have the "ISO" tape code option turned on, which means that the CNC can only send and receive the old EIA tape code (used by Frieden Fexowriters). If your DNC software does "automatic code recognition" when receiving, it's possible that your CNC is sending EIA code, which the DNC software receives OK, but since the DNC software is sending ASCII, you can't go the other way. Is there a way you can set your DNC software to SEND the old EIA tape code? That may be worth a try also.

please check that your G-code file which you are trying to upload....has % sign at the end, this sign tells controller "THE END OF FILE".

may be of help.

Pitre

My problem was a broken pin in one of the connectors into the control cabinet, the pin for the program protection key....

Ajden, do you recall on which connector you had a problem? I have the same issue and can't seem to find relationship between g122.3 (program protection key) signal and physical hardware.
    Thanks

Check from ladder that G122.1 to 3 is high or low. It should be low for program protection off.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I checked G122 address and I get 0000011 which is consistent with being in EDIT mode and protection off but I get "program is protected" message when I hit READ soft button.
    Attachment 185504

Attachment 185506

That means program protection is ON.....

Sorry buddy...
    My mistake. Actually that is not correct G address. I dont have manual handy with me. Otherwise I shall check correct G address.
    Look for the G named memory protection. Than check it inside ladder. Check whats used to make the output ON.

I have find what was wrong and it was a broken wire for the program protection key. After I put a cable between +24v and the input for the key everything works fine.

Problem solved by turning off the protection key in operator menu. I was confused and thought that the protection key was in the parameter 10 and that some machines have a physical key for this.