586,419 active members*
3,329 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Business Practices > Business Practices / Pricing > Small Run Product-Easy, Low Profit. Ideas?

Small Run Product-Easy, Low Profit. Ideas?

Searching for a perfect product! HELP

I have a CNC mill, and plenty of machining equipment, over the years its just been used for my hobbies and one off stuff. I have recently been looking for a source of secondary income, and thought why not machine something?! My equipment doesn't get much use at all!

One off's
    There are plenty of machine shops in my area for one off stuff (at very reasonable prices that would be hard to compete with) Also I don't want to have the hassle of all the setup time, and shipping something different everytime.

Small Run products?
    There are so many industries with possibilities, Although I dont want a learning curve to create this product. Im looking for something I can do in cad, set up and go.

Goals for this Product
    -$25 and up (that's barely enough to be productive profit)
    -Small; throw it in a box and ship
    -Something I dont have to worry about preciseness.
    -Making more than a 100 units in the end

Basically Im searching for something Im sure all of you would like to have, the perfect product.My goal isnt big profit, its easy, easy, easy and small profit. just for some extra money.
    What industries to look into? Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM just trying to get going here thats all.

That's a great idea. I'd love one too. What do you suggest?

My apologies, I just couldn't resist......

I think we'd all like that "Perfect" product, but I doubt anyone would share the idea if they had it.

I'd suggest finding something to make, that compliments one of your existing hobbies.

v12lover,
    I don't have a magic formula for you but all I can suggest is put in a lot of time marketing your machining services. Start a collection of forums where you can chat on to offer your services, forums like 4wd, racecar, boats, kit planes, go-karts, etc, etc. To get more ideas for forums, clubs, etc, go to the library and ask if they have a database of magazines in production. There's magazines for hobbies, industries, just about everything.
    I've read about people like yourself pounding the pavement in industrial estates, dropping cards off. They claim they come back with some work each time.
    You are hunting for business ideas but I think the paradox of asking people in a similar situation to yourself is they are hunting for the same thing so may stay tight lipped about it. It may be better to ask non-competing people for ideas and all sorts of hobby forums may be a good place to start. Even try commercial forums where people may be employees and have ideas for products that would improve a machine, a process or whatever. Many people love to express their eureka ideas, but not business people who could profit from the idea themselves. That's a bit like earning a dollar then giving it away.
    I have asked for ideas in the past from other people like ourselves but the response is more silence than productive replies. The better responses have been more generalised, not giving a specific great product.
    Something else to keep in mind is you may start to get an idea of what capabilities you don't have but could do with, based on what a lot of potential customers wanted making. If you can see a pattern of job requests where a certain machine is needed you may think it worthwhile to invest in that particular machine.

Good luck,
    Keith.

Exclamation

Ive got just the thing! Forgive me if its not possible but I have no experiance with CNC whatsoever but I was looking at how to get this done and I cant think of any other way. Now bear with me here... these little guys here

go on the ends of the shift linkage of almost all Volkswagen/Audi 5 speed and 6 speed manual transmissions. As you can see they are made of PLASTIC and RUBBER Over time (more like right out the factory) they make the shifter feel very sloppy, and forget about when they actually break. A solution to that has been this contraption that costs $200 bucks

or these inserts that cost around $30 a set

Those inserts don't change the fact that plastic is taking all the abuse. Now if you were to make the entire assembly out of a springy metal except for the spring of course I'm sure people wouldn't think twice about shelling out $75 to $100 bucks the set. Please see this video to see how they work please go to youtube and search for this Volkswagen Group Shift Linkage Adjustment for year models 2000-2010 and watch the video by dieselgeekdotcom

I forgot to mention that I went to my local VW dealer for replacements as most people do when there in a jam for a "dealer only" part and they wanted $48 each. I said screw that and ordered them from and on-line merchant for $23 bucks the pair shipped, but again they will fail again eventually and I'm a "spirited" driver so I would prefer my shifts to feel more positive and confident. Oh and apparently these same PLASTIC parts are used on the Audi R8!!!