586,060 active members*
3,962 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Brand New Here Need ideas for a 4x8 Machine

Hi i am brand new here, i have been lurking on the forums for a while now and i am finally ready to start this undertaking of a 4x8 machine. I was wanting some input for machine design. i am wanting to use nema 34 steppers and use a rack and pinion drive system i like the cncrp 4x8 design but i am still up in the air on what i want to build. this will be a brand new project for me and it will be my first cnc build. Rather than learning the hard way on allot of things i was wanting some input from all of you that have gone through this process. thank you for your help and advice.

Why not build the CNCRP machine and put it on a steel frame and call it a day?

That's what I'll be doing in about a month or two if everything goes to plan. I will admit I plan on changing a few things (primarily building the table bed out of steel vs using expensive extrusion) but whatever I haven't really loved about the CNCRouterParts design isn't a deal breaker and the fact it can be theoretically assembled in a day makes it one of the best bargains out there right now.

Ok I am looking at the Chinese stepper motors on eBay and was wondering if they are any good. I like the price for a 4 axis setup. Or should i start Saving my pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by bean_086 View Post
    Ok I am looking at the Chinese stepper motors on eBay and was wondering if they are any good. I like the price for a 4 axis setup. Or should i start Saving my pennies.
    I don't think there is any real savings buying from eBay.

If you want to save money: NEMA34 Stepper Motor Kit

Basically the same stuff from China except a much more reliable source.

Bit more expensive but higher quality: CNCRouterParts

You can save about $500-1000 by going with NEMA23 motors. NEMA34 are definitely superior if you want to use your machine to make money. If it's just another tool for the garage, then going with NEMA23 motors probably wouldn't be a terrible place to save some money.

Definitely, save your pennies. Get the G540, motors, cables, PSU from cncrouterparts, Keling, or some other place with the similar kit package. You will get a much higher performance and less troublesome system. The resonance reduction and open/short circuit feature of the Gecko products alone is worth the difference in cost. The kits from cncrouterparts and Keling have motors that are better matched to the G540. The cables from cncrouterparts are plug and play with the resistors built into the cables for complete plug-n-play. Save time and money in the long run with these versus the low cost kits from Ebay.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com