586,071 active members*
3,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 6 23456
    I feel like I am doing things the right way but some people (not on this board) think I am wasting time. From strictly a business perspective I AM wasting valuable time but after much reading and other information gathering, I developed my own methods for resolving business decisions: go with what feels right.

Not to mention - I can not operate out of boxes or by working on the floor which is exactly what I would be doing if I did not build all of this stuff. I moved in and had NOTHING. Nowhere to put anything.

I think I am headed in a good direction. It may not be the perfect direction, but it is one I can afford and one that feels right. I have used four months of the first year's lease - I now have the remainder of the lease to work in an organized, appealing shop that I am not embarrased about. I think that has major benefits. But some think I am being stupid with the organization and the "beautification". The appearance came nearly free - the function came first and the appearance was a relatively simple to achieve - it just took a little vision and thought.

The shop basically costs me about $1200 a month right now (total). So - it has essentially cost me about $5000 for all the cabinets and tables (Some of the shop time was spent on paying jobs). When I was looking into storage stuff I could not find anything that appealed to me other than Lista type cabinets and I could not shell out that kind of cash, so I opted to build instead of purchase. In big business, building stuff like this may not be the way to go and in the future I will likely just buy what I need. But - I still could close the doors tomorrow and have ZERO debt. That is the reason I built instead of bought.

Ok. I am done with my rant. Sorry - I had to vent....thanks for the shoulder.

:wave:

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    4'x7' plate of 1/4" steel and several long sections of 4"x6" tubing that I can barely move by myself.

1/4" steel plate is 10lbs per square foot; 4' x 7' is 280 lbs "that I can barely move by myself" !!!!!!!!! What are you? King Kong's younger brother
    It was pretty heavy - I can tell you that much. My motorcycle racing keeps my hands, forearms and legs in very good shape. I have a tremendous grip after racing motocross for 25+ years. All of this helps me operate a forklift with ease....

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by mxtras
    I feel like I am doing things the right way but some people (not on this board) think I am wasting time. From strictly a business perspective I AM wasting valuable time but after much reading and other information gathering, I developed my own methods for resolving business decisions: go with what feels right.

Not to mention - I can not operate out of boxes or by working on the floor which is exactly what I would be doing if I did not build all of this stuff. I moved in and had NOTHING. Nowhere to put anything.

I think I am headed in a good direction. It may not be the perfect direction, but it is one I can afford and one that feels right. I have used four months of the first year's lease - I now have the remainder of the lease to work in an organized, appealing shop that I am not embarrased about. I think that has major benefits. But some think I am being stupid with the organization and the "beautification". The appearance came nearly free - the function came first and the appearance was a relatively simple to achieve - it just took a little vision and thought.

The shop basically costs me about $1200 a month right now (total). So - it has essentially cost me about $5000 for all the cabinets and tables (Some of the shop time was spent on paying jobs). When I was looking into storage stuff I could not find anything that appealed to me other than Lista type cabinets and I could not shell out that kind of cash, so I opted to build instead of purchase. In big business, building stuff like this may not be the way to go and in the future I will likely just buy what I need. But - I still could close the doors tomorrow and have ZERO debt. That is the reason I built instead of bought.

Ok. I am done with my rant. Sorry - I had to vent....thanks for the shoulder.

Scott
    you could have easily spend over 15,000 for what you have, I think you made the right choice, and it will also look very apealing to your clients when they see such a well orginized shop and coordinated. (just make sure people keep it looking new. a cleaning plan every day would help.

When you're done building your shop and happy with it, please let me know if you have any extra stainless sheets laying around. Or if you happen to find a lot more of them in a dumpster somewhere...

"Ok. I am done with my rant"

From a business perspective I am not sure you are wasting your time. Your product is aimed at motocross professionals or high end amateurs? You will be advertising in glossy magazines? With a bit of luck you stand to have TV people visit your facility? The appearance of your facility gives credibility to the quality of your product. Just a hint however; don't have it too perfectly clean and tidy; that does look faked.

I have had several folks on other forums tell me that many of the pics look like a magazine ad! That is a real boost to my enthusiasm, for sure.

The product is aimed at the upper end folks, for sure. Someone who races every weekend is likely to buy. Those that load up their clapped out 1993 CR125 in the back of a 1987 Chevy are not likley to see the value in the MXporter. I guess I am catering to the upper end of the sport at the moment anyway.

My intention is to cater to the factory teams eventually. I have had my foot in the door thanks to Bevo Forte from Scott Goggles. He walked me through every single team semi a few years ago and introduced me to the team managers - I also talked to a few of the riders. The guys from Pro Circuit were extremely impressed and spent quite a bit of time talking to me at my display. I think that all I need is one of those teams to use the product and allow advertising and I am on my way. Anyway - the point I am making is that I intend to have visitors and I do not want to have to explain away a crappy looking shop. These teams have the best of the best - them walking into my shop will likely be a bit disturbing in comparison to what they are used to, but it's the best I can do and that's all there is. I can't do much more in my current situation.

Like I have preached to many that I have worked with or supervised - your work speaks for you when you can't speak for your work.

I hope to keep the shop pretty tidy - cleanliness is important to me for the image if for nothing else and it really only takes a few minutes a day to keep it up. Some nights I work up until the last minute and have to leave my mess, but most of the time I clean up at the end of each milestone in anything I do.

Thanks for all the responses, everybody! I really appreciate the comments - good, bad or otherwise.

Scott

QUOTE "I hope to keep the shop pretty tidy - cleanliness is important to me for the image if for nothing else and it really only takes a few minutes a day to keep it up. Some nights I work up until the last minute and have to leave my mess, but most of the time I clean up at the end of each milestone in anything I do."

Hah! double hah! Wait until you have employees, are in full production and orders have to be filled ready for shipping; if you do not learn to compromise you will have a heart attack or a stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    QUOTE "I hope to keep the shop pretty tidy - cleanliness is important to me for the image if for nothing else and it really only takes a few minutes a day to keep it up. Some nights I work up until the last minute and have to leave my mess, but most of the time I clean up at the end of each milestone in anything I do."

Hah! double hah! Wait until you have employees, are in full production and orders have to be filled ready for shipping; if you do not learn to compromise you will have a heart attack or a stroke.
    everyone has their own business practices.

I have a bunch of stories about this but the most relative is a local machine shop I frequent as part of my daytime activities here at Mitsubishi. The shop owner employs maybe 15 to 18 folks and his shop is as spotless as you would want to see a fabrication shop - and his employees seem to have nothing to say but good stuff about him.

I hear ya on the employee thing, Geof. It can be a nightmare but I hope to be able to manage it to a point where I don't lose sight of the basics. Wishful thinking, maybe.

Scott

Scott, you're doing the right thing! Just don't forget the money-making!

Hey, it is your business to run not anybody elses. Do what you think is right.

The time spent on what you have done would have past anyways. Now you can look to the future and all the time you will save not wondering where XX is, where did you put YY, ZZ is in the way, etc.

Short sided decisions to NOT do what you have done is why a lot of manufacturing is moving overseas IMO.

You now have a shop which if you did your homework can be run efficiently.

I do see a few things you did wrong though and need to inform you that in order to correct those mistakes, you must come to my shop and apply what you have learned, and correct those mistakes. This will also let me give you an outsider's feedback on your shelving designs.

When should I be expecting you? :stickpoke

Scott

you can be more productive in this shop than out of boxes and you have a very professional look to you. It can only make you money. And money is out there to be made. Whatever worth doing is always worth doing right.

Quote Originally Posted by ty1295
    I do see a few things you did wrong though and need to inform you that in order to correct those mistakes, you must come to my shop and apply what you have learned, and correct those mistakes. This will also let me give you an outsider's feedback on your shelving designs.

When should I be expecting you? :stickpoke

Yeah - sure! Pencil me in. I will be there. No problem. Don't forget to pick me up from the airport - my flight lands at 7.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    Just don't forget the money-making!
    You understand my dilemna, Viper!

I did not want to take this long to get this stuff done, but I wanted it done. Indirectly it will generate income - maybe even directly - who knows. It's all a shot in the dark.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Jamf2
    Scott

you can be more productive in this shop than out of boxes and you have a very professional look to you. It can only make you money. And money is out there to be made. Whatever worth doing is always worth doing right.
    It's the second guessing that kills me. I agree that if it's worth doing it should be done right but I have too much to do! I have to skimp on some things for the time being.

It should get interesting here shortly.....

Scott

Second guessing is like hindsite really doesnt matter now that it is done. Figure out what the worst it cost you to do this right the firts time and accept it and move on. It is awesome. You have a shop to be proud of and can be produtive and look good doing it. Run it lean and mean but fun to run.
    What is possible? What you will!

I have the Employee pig problem here at my shop. The best way to fix it is to give one very verbal warning and the fire the first transgressor very loudly and make a show of it. We did this at a place I used to work when I was a kid, the rule was "don't leave your tools lying around, always put them away or on a tool dolly. And NEVER leave them on the ground" We were told the first day and if you ignored the rule you were fired imediately when caught! Needless to say no one left any tools lying about.

My problem with this business is good employees are hard to find so I haven't been brave enough to do it here yet!

I should have instituted it when I was small and then the employee loss wouldn't have hurt as much. but Now I am in a realy aqward growth stage and cant fire anyone without having to take the slack up personaly and I can't be staying till midnight every day anymore!!!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

When I was supervising here at Mitsubishi (up until almost 4 years ago), I actually had an employee tell me "you can't fire me - you didn't hire me" and another told me "Mitsubishi doesn't fire people - I don't know anybody that has been fired from here - you are discriminating!". It's amazing.

I always tried to give them the option - "Ok, pencil-pud - do you want to quit or are you going to let me fire you?" For the record - given the choice, 9 out of 10 will quit. In VA if they quit they are not eligible for unemployment benefits.

Scott

A special thanks to Scott for chronicling the move of his Bridgeport. Hot off the press - new writeup!

Mxtras - Moving a Bridgeport
    www.TOOLandFAB.com
    www.ControlledCutting.com

Recommendation....adjust the width of the frames on the website.....it's tough to read text when you have to scroll the screen back and forth to read each line.

Page 4 of 6 23456