586,102 active members*
2,627 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

contour cutting

hello all. i am using version x5. all of my cutting is contouring with a single depth. i am trying to have a .5 cutter go down 1.5 inches and hog out a 4 inch circle. i cannot just contour cut the circle as the plug gets sucked up the vaccum hose. is seems as most of the mill entries are complex entries for metal.
    i just need a simple plunge to depth in the center of the circle and step over .25 inches at a time until the circle is turned to sawdust. thanks for any help

don't use Contour use pocket.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

pocketing

this is off the top of my head because i am at home. i think when i tried pocketing, it had a spiraling entry which took forever when i need a straight plunge to depth. i could be cutting as many as 50 of these circles at a time and the spiral entries took forever. will check again in the morning. thanks

uncheck helix entry? set plunge rate to desired entry rate and it will plunge from your feed plane to the pocket depth at that speed and start spiraling outward.

Pocket

Use pocket- Cut parameters - roughing - pick "parallel spiral" under entry motion -turn off , you might want to look at "finish parameter" and just turn it off (no pass) if hole is good enough for what you want.

Use the "Backplot" and see if the cutter action is what you want, if not try a different style of roughing.

if you use the pocket true spiral you will get a constant cut and will be able to speed up the cuts.
    What kind of material are you cutting? there are allot of cuts that can move out the material quickly can you share a sample? Also what type of machine are you using.
    I have cut allot of different types of materials using vacuums.

Hope you are finding some of what you want here.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

under toolpaths select circle paths>>>circle mill and fill out the rest?? or am i missing something

toolpath 2d - pocket - (as cadcam suggested) use "roughing" style "true spiral" (make sure "spiral inside-outside" is checked) - uncheck "entry/exit" (to remove the helix entry) - set your depth and feed parameters