586,096 active members*
3,707 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > AC unit -> rotary phase converter?

AC unit -> rotary phase converter?

I am taking an old (1945) AC unit apart to turn it into a rotary phase(1 to 3 phase) converter and exhaust hood. I am trying to figure out what I need to do to start the motors. It had a thermostat at one time. Can I use a light switch or something simple. The top box is the breaker and slow blow fuses. What are the other 3 boxes?

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ac stuff 2.jpg  

Looks like some kind of contactor with either a time delay or overload, what does the square D units have on them? If it was a AC unit it might have been a start time delay.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I am taking it apart now. I will scan the tags and post them tomarrow.

Here are some scans. I've been reading these for a few weeks and don't understand how to make it work or exactly what it is I'm seeing here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1hp motor contactors and starters 1.JPG   1hp motor contactors and starters 2.JPG   7hp motor contactors and starters 1.JPG   7hp motor contactors and starters 2.JPG  

close up pics
    The yellow blue and red come from somewhere in the building (Thermostst?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails between sm and bg motor.JPG   lg motor.JPG   sm motor.JPG  

You should be able to use the contactor, depends what size motor you are using, it looks like it has a 220v coil so you should not need a control transformer, I made mine this way, there are some previous posts and links I have posted, a search of the forum should get them.
    You will need a couple of good quality pushbuttons rated at 250v, as well as the necessary capacitors.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks Al,

I searched the posts and downloaded the jpg's from Metalworking.com. Part of what I don't understand is Do I need a start capacitor. I didn't see one on the machine. I think I can blindly hook this thing up the way they had it, but I don't understand it. I have a hard time moving forward when there is something I don't understand. The motor is 7hp and the boxes were all connected to the 7hp and a 1hp motor.

I will do reasurch on contactors and see if square D has any info specifically on these and bump when I am done.

Kevin

The contactor is size 0, which according to code is good for 3hp on 230v. You should by rights be using a size 1.
    You need a start capacitor if you want pushbutton start, this should be motor start grade, intermediate use, as opposed to the run caps, which should be continuous rated.
    Others have used a crude way of starting by pony motor or rope pull start to get the rotor turning initially.
    The P.B. start is more convenient.
    Al.

Albert E.

They were probably using a single phase 1hp motor as a pony motor to get the three phase motor turning. Once the motor was spinning they would apply single phase power to the spinning three phase motor ( A three phase motor will run on single phase after start up.). This arrangement does not use a start capacitor and run capacitors are optional.

Darek

I think I am starting to understand what I have.

Here's what I'm gathering. I think they were starting with no cap. I will want one so I get less surge. I should use the larger contactor or for the 7hp motor. It has thermal overload. Bonus. I should use a mamentary push button 220 rated to jump start.

I will draw a schematic of what they had and a schematic of what I think I need and repost.

Thanks
    Kevin

Here is my schematic if it helps.
    Al.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Albert E.

It's starting to come clearer. I see how the startup and E-stop work. I think I want to do what U have in your schematic. I've seen things like that but now I am begining to understand. Only one question. Is 1CR and MC1 the same as the contactor for the large motor, or do I need a seperate device for MC1 (the contactor I have) and 1CR?

ICR is only picked up momentarily for the start operation MC1 is the main three ph contactor. 1CR is just any small control relay with a 220vac coil. You also need an auxiliary retaining contact on MC1.
    The start PB only needs to be held for less than a second otherwise you may trip the O.L.
    BTW Looking at the schematic again, it is a bit misleading as I have a corrected version, 1M,MC1 & MCR are one and the same, 1CR is separate.
    Al.

Al.

Albert E.

Does 1CR have 2 seperate contacts? One from 12 to l3 thru cap and one to MC1.

Kevin

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by loves80z
    Does 1CR have 2 seperate contacts? One from 12 to l3 thru cap and one to MC1.

Yes, it operates the start cap momentarily and initializes the pick up of MC1.
    Al.

Albert E.

I made a diagram last night. Here it is. Can I do it like this? The one momentary button turns on both the startup coil and the motor contactor. I want to add the light across the motor contactor relay. BTW I'll be running a 1hp mill off this.

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PHASE DIAG2.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

It looks Ok to me, mine is a 7.5hp unit btw.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks a lot Al

U da Man!

Kevin