586,604 active members*
3,575 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: tool setup

tool setup

I'm really new to this and need some assistance. Can someone help me setup this tool in Aspire? I want to make sure I don't get any of the values wrong, it looks like I must populate about 8 fields in aspire tool setup.

specifically the geometry and cutting parameters.

Diameter:
    side angle:
    flat Diameter:
    pass depth:
    stepover:
    clearance pass stepover:

Thanks in advance

Choose V-Bit and you just need to enter the diameter (9/16" or .5625) and the included angle (60°). The manual explains the other parameters:
    Pass Depth
    The maximum depth of cut the tool can cut. The Pass Depth controls the number of z level passes that are calculated for a toolpath. For example, creating a pocket 1" (25.4 mm) deep using a tool that has a Pass Depth of 0.25" (6.35 mm) will result in the toolpath making 4 passes.
    Stepover
    The distance the cutter moves over when doing area clearance cutting. For example, when raster machining the cutter will machine along the X axis, stepover in the Y direction and return parallel to the first line of cut. The greater the stepover the faster the job will be machined, but this must be balanced with the material being cut and the tooling being used, to ensure that the tool does not break. When stepovers greater than 50% of the cutter / tip diameter are used the software automatically adds 'Tail' moves in the corner regions of toolpaths to ensure material is not left on the job for offset based strategies.
    When using V-Bit Tools, the Stepover fields automatically change to use the following
    options.
    Final Pass Stepover
    The distance the cutter moves over when finish machining and is usually set to be a
    relatively small distance to produce a smooth surface finish on the job.
    Clearance Pass Stepover
    Only used when a V-Bit tool is being used to rough machine at multiple Z levels down to a specified flat depth. This stepover can be much larger than the Final Pass Stepover because the tool is only rough machining material away. Increasing the Clearance Pass Stepover will reduce the machining time, but you must be careful to ensure it is not too great for the material being cut.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)