586,103 active members*
3,300 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Mikini Lathe

Mikini Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by adorsett View Post
    I'm interested in seeing a real CNC lathe to match the 1610L.

Thanks!
    Andrew

Thanks Andrew - we'd love additional input on demand for a CNC lathe.

We've had one in development for years, but shelved it last year due to lack of demand. As it's currently defined it would end up about the same metrics as the 1610L in terms of weight, size and price. We have some flexibility in these metrics, if we decide to aggressively pursue for 2013.

Welcoming input from all sources on the subject.

Mikini Mechatronics, LLC

I would love to see a lathe that has the equivalent or better functionality of the Bridgeport EZ Path lathe but in the size package of the 1610L. 3k to 5k for rpms and 6" chuck.
    Tormach's Duality lathe is a neat idea but is just to small.

Chris

Welcoming thoughts on these rough #'s for a lathe

1800 lbs
    3 HP
    10"x24"
    100-2000 RPM
    ~15,000 USD

Appealing ?

Anyone actively looking to purchase a lathe anywhere near this size/price ?

Mikini Mechatronics, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by howecnc View Post
    I would love to see a lathe that has the equivalent or better functionality of the Bridgeport EZ Path lathe but in the size package of the 1610L. 3k to 5k for rpms and 6" chuck.
    Tormach's Duality lathe is a neat idea but is just to small.

Chris

I haven't thought about what I need RPM wise but I would like to see something in the $12.5k range for the size of the 1610L. I think $15k is getting too close to $20k with basic tooling and shipping. I'll be honest, at the $14k price of today for the 1610L you are now out of my budget. Good thing I bought earlier!

Perhaps take the three machine approach with it as well. A small unit under $10k, a midsize and then a pro unit in the $20k range.

The price should compete w/Tormach that will be released soon?

I would like to know more and see more.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKINI MECH View Post
    Welcoming thoughts on these rough #'s for a lathe

1800 lbs
    3 HP
    10"x24"
    100-2000 RPM
    ~15,000 USD

Appealing ?

Anyone actively looking to purchase a lathe anywhere near this size/price ?

Mikini Mechatronics, LLC
    The specs seem fairly decent, but the price is a bit higher than I'd like. What sort of spindle and through hole would it have? 5C collet capability would be pretty important to me. How would tooling be implemented - gang, turret, QCTP, something else?

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a (happy) Tormach owner and my first loyalty is to them so your lathe would have to be significantly better than the one they will hopefully market soon.

Mike

Mike

All,

Thanks for the very helpful feedback to determine demand and customer needs.

Seems to be a trend of requesting a lower priced (thus lower featured) product in the assortment, which is very understandable depending on the intended application.

Thoughts on these specifications as an entry level lathe product as suggested, perhaps as a cousin to an entry level machining center product for 2013 ?

~ 1400 lbs
    1.5 HP
    10"x20"
    Fully enclosed
    Totally open loop
    170-1700 RPM
    ~10,000 USD

Please keep the feedback coming.

Mikini Mechatronics, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    The price should compete w/Tormach that will be released soon?
    I second this comment. I'd have to consider the competitive market plus the wedding I have to pay for this year...

Seems to be a trend of requesting a lower priced (thus lower featured) product in the assortment, which is very understandable depending on the intended application.
    I don't recall requesting "lower" features, just a lower price

I could probably live with 1700 rpm and (real) 1-1/2 HP and a totally enclosed lathe would be nice until some PVC needed to be turned down a significant amount.

What are your thoughts on spindle through hole and 5C capability?

Great questions. We also strive for the highest value, most featured product at the price, whatever the price may be.

5C tooling capability would be offered, but likely not a standard option shipped with the machine. Again, comes back to balancing the standard and optional features and price.

Spindle bore and taper on a possible smaller, lower priced, lathe has not been finalized yet. Input ?

Mikini Mechatronics, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I don't recall requesting "lower" features, just a lower price

What are your thoughts on spindle through hole and 5C capability?

As I understand it, 5C capability means a 1-3/8" through hole, at a minimum. I'd be looking for that sort of feature, rather than a lathe with a smaller spindle bore that uses a spindle mounted 5C collet chuck.

A lever-operated 5C collet closer would be nice even if it it could only be operated manually. My experience is with manual lathes, though, so perhaps the work flow is different on CNC lathes.

Great input.

On a smaller product we would likely not implement a 5C bore and go the route of a spindle mount chuck.

Since the smaller product is a clean sheet, it's still open to input however.

Any other interest. Seems like demand for any sized lathe is fairly specific and few and far between ?

Wrong ? right ?

Anyone here more than interested, but actively shopping for a lathe in the next 1-3 months ? Price range ? Intended machine to purchase ?

Mikini Mechatronics, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    As I understand it, 5C capability means a 1-3/8" through hole, at a minimum. I'd be looking for that sort of feature, rather than a lathe with a smaller spindle bore that uses a spindle mounted 5C collet chuck.

A lever-operated 5C collet closer would be nice even if it it could only be operated manually. My experience is with manual lathes, though, so perhaps the work flow is different on CNC lathes.

Anyone here more than interested, but actively shopping for a lathe in the next 1-3 months ? Price range ? Intended machine to purchase ?

Mikini Mechatronics, LLC

I'm a bit late to the party, but I am looking to purchase a CNC lathe asap. I run a small manufacturing shop and need a lathe to accompany our mill.

Please PM or email me if you're still out there MECH,
    Dan