586,113 active members*
3,495 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Pulse frequency help

Hey guys

Super weird thing happening with my new setup. This is a setup I got from someone else that had it working perfectly with his computer, yet I have problems with my computer.

Computer specs are:
    • 1.8Ghz processor
    • 768Mb ram
    • Everything else onboard
    • Brand new XP installation with drivers

The problem I believe I'm having is with the pulse frequency being too low...and I'm wondering if this is a problem with the computer of it's a settings problem.

The machine I have uses servo motors with gecko drives.

So here's the problem:

Using drivers from Mach 2 6.11N does not work and the pulse frequency does not even show up in OCX test shows it around anywhere from 400-2500Hz.
    Using the drivers from 6.11N, the motors will jog but they are all messed up and they do not jog properly (almost as if they're rattling all over the place). Pulse frequency not high enough? I have no idea.

Using drivers from 6.11I, OCX test shows it from 25,000-27,000Hz (which is perfect for the 25k test I believe?)
    So, using the drivers from 6.11I, I jump into Mach and try to jog the motors on continuous, but they don't move at all. When I go to the diagnostics screen to check the pulse frequency, it starts off at around 25,000Hz, and then drops down to 400-2500Hz and never goes back up after that.

Anyone had this problem before and know a solution? I've tried playing around with all different parallel port settings in the BIOS and have had no luck...

Thanks,
    Elliott

EDIT: Also, this is solely a computer problem, because the guy I got the machine from brought his computer over and the machine functions correctly and in the OCX test on his machine, it stays stable at around 25k for the 25k test.

1) Try disabling everything in the bios your not using, like sound, floppy drives, network. Everything but video. In windows you shouldn't install any drivers for anything but video, or hardware that you need.

2) Read the portion of the manual about installation, and try the special driver.

3) Try a separate video card instead of onboard video.

Note that a very small percentage of PC's just can not run Mach3. It's possible that you may have one of them.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    1) Try disabling everything in the bios your not using, like sound, floppy drives, network. Everything but video. In windows you shouldn't install any drivers for anything but video, or hardware that you need.

2) Read the portion of the manual about installation, and try the special driver.

3) Try a separate video card instead of onboard video.

Note that a very small percentage of PC's just can not run Mach3. It's possible that you may have one of them.
    Thanks.

I will try disabling things...although I'm not sure that's going to help.

I have read the portion about installation and have followed it down to the letter with no success...

Also, I'm trying to run Mach 2, not Mach 3. This is because the XML file I have for the machine was made in Mach 2 and I don't think they're transferable? Or are they?

Software

Hello

If all else fails you can always try the Linux offering LinuxCNC.org
    it certainly worked for a friend on mine with Mach3 problems ....

Richard

Check out how much memory you are using - hopefully after disabling most services. I would consider increasing the memory to 2G minimum.

I run Mach3 on a 1Ghz PIII with 256MB of RAM, and have run files with 250,000 lines of g-code.
    You don't need 2 Gigs of Ram
    Also, I'm trying to run Mach 2, not Mach 3. This is because the XML file I have for the machine was made in Mach 2 and I don't think they're transferable? Or are they?
    If you write down the settings from Mach3, it's not to much trouble to enter them into Mach3.
    Also, you can install both Mach2 and MAch3 on the same PC. Just don't try running both at the same time.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by lavrgs View Post
    Check out how much memory you are using - hopefully after disabling most services. I would consider increasing the memory to 2G minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I run Mach3 on a 1Ghz PIII with 256MB of RAM, and have run files with 250,000 lines of g-code.
    You don't need 2 Gigs of Ram

If you write down the settings from Mach3, it's not to much trouble to enter them into Mach3.
    Also, you can install both Mach2 and MAch3 on the same PC. Just don't try running both at the same time.
    Right. It's just finding everything in Mach 3 that's a pain.

Anyway the problem has been solved. I will edit this post with the solution in a couple days.