586,119 active members*
3,454 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Anyone build RC planes

Anyone build RC planes

Hi,

I was wondering how many of you boys built RC planes with your routers?

I was head first into planes (large scale), saw Balsamans cnc router, got jealous, built my own. I now have quite a few cadded plans which i need to run off and build. Problem is I need to get a better feeling on how to drive my router before i make balsa dust.

Cheers
    Michael

Blue Skies

I am, I built my own laser and router table. Right now I'm working on my own line of planes with will be sold here - http://3dxhobbies.com .

Hi Paul,

I have been across your progress, great job with the laser CNC.
    Your a jack of all trades, so i assume your looking at the electric 3D market, given the current models on your web site.

Best of luck with the venture
    Michael

Hey Paul
    Have you got a movie of that palm size micro heli flying?
    Anyone selling those in the UK?

Hi Paul,

To cut balsa for an RC plane, do you need a laser router? Can it be done with a regular cnc router?

Warren

No you don't, routering it is just as easy, it's just real messy with all the dust, not so with a laser.

Quote Originally Posted by moyesboy2
    Hey Paul
    Have you got a movie of that palm size micro heli flying?
    Anyone selling those in the UK?

Their is a video on 3dxhobbies, I can ship to the UK, but don't know if anyone sells them from there.

Quote Originally Posted by mikie
    Hi Paul,

I have been across your progress, great job with the laser CNC.
    Your a jack of all trades, so i assume your looking at the electric 3D market, given the current models on your web site.

Best of luck with the venture
    Michael
    Yes here is my product http://airfoilz.com

what kind of feed speeds are you getting on routing out balsa and what bits.

We have ben having ours laser cut in the past. Now we are building a 24x48 router.

Model aircraft has ben my families hobby for 30 years (back when you had to build it, in order to fly it) unlike todays ARF. But its all fun, current planes we are building and flying (M80) weigh 12 lbs and almost 2000 sq. inches high lift. Very fun 3D.

John

I am into RC since 68. Switched to large gas now and am currently scratch building a 30% Raven. Power is a converted Poulan 42 and I am in the process of making an ignition for it. I am also gathering the parts for a cnc hot wire foam cutter for my first project. I figure this would be a good starting place before something larger. Besides the wings are getting to large to do by hand yourself.
    Enclosed a pic of the front end assembly with modified engine.
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P42mount.jpg  

ability to do balsa will certainly be a requirement of my router. I've been designing/building heli's and the odd plank for some time now, and get frustrated too easily with a scalpel on the more complex builds.

Paul some nice stuff you have on your site there, good to see the standard foamy being taken that step further all round - I can think of a few people who might disagree with the sales patter on that micro heli being the worlds first palm sized though!!!!

I'm wondering if there is a robust, probably epp, 3D plane that l that I could fit with the electrics from my heli when I upgrade the heli. That would be to use a 1800mAh 3 cell lipo 12c (or 2200 15C) with a Align 25A ESC. I have come to realise that I'd be better of with a lower KV motor but my 430L is fine in my heli (ARK x400 - mx400) for now - the ESC will be the next upgrade as its not up to 3D with the heli. The cheap 9g servos would probably be fine in the fixed wing too.

There are a few out there that can use the electrics off the mini heli's, but if you are Ok with a scalpel it's no effort to simply scale up one of the depron foamies a bit - I've done a 3DX at ~135% from scaled up plans using left over X400 parts, worked very nicely. I just added a 4mm tube carbon spar in the wing to give a bit more strength and some airfoil. Beauty is you can make it for about £5 so it really doesn't matter if it's robust or not!

BTW - how are you finding the 430L? My 400 died in a recent... ermm.. "mishap" (check antenna clips before going inverted in future... )
    and cant decide what to replace it with!

Quote Originally Posted by Dongle
    Paul some nice stuff you have on your site there, good to see the standard foamy being taken that step further all round - I can think of a few people who might disagree with the sales patter on that micro heli being the worlds first palm sized though!!!!
    I think the pixel was the first right? It only the first if people know about it, I just sell that heli, I don't make that one.

there have been a few, cant remember most of them as they dissapeared again quite quickly but yes pixel was the first "proper" one. I dont know if you have met Mario in your travels, but he'll tell you he was the first to build..... well pretty much everything!!!! Mine wasn't *quite* there, rotor was OK at just over 8 inch but the body was too big to be termed palm sized. LOL, as you say, it's only the first if people know about it

Have you seen that ~8g one that was floating around? (excuse the pun) truly remarkable.

dingle:
    no probs with my motor, but I'm not driving it hard.
    for better info check in at the forums at www.trextuning.com and www.x400tuning.com (same forum). lots of anglo-american reviews and stuff there.

CNC Machine for Hobby

Of interest I am working with a local hobby shop, and trying to build him a 3 axis machine with unusual dimensions, they are 12 inch by 50 inch thus allowing him to put a full sheet of balsa wood in as I believe it comes in 12x48 this should allow him the ability to cut out both sides of the plane at one time and not waist material. Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

I build DLGs and electric planes. My elliptical wings are cut with a cnc router using a software i wrote in visual basic see http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49319. I also have recently written a program which allows me to compute and cut the molds for the pods.