586,051 active members*
3,813 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Arrow 750 spindle drawing?

Arrow 750 spindle drawing?

Looks like it's time to replace the spindle bearings on my Arrow 750. I didn't get any manuals with the machine, so I was hoping that someone here had a print of the spindle so I can see what I'm getting myself into before I start tearing it apart.

Thanks

first post didnt take so trying again.....

watch the bearing part nos when u get it apart; it is easy to get $ 30 bearings iinstead of the right $ 300ea ones. cheap doesnt last long at the 8-12000rpm that motor can run all day long.....

Yep, I know not to cheap out on the bearings. No problem there. Was just looking for some prints of this thing so I can see whats going on.

Ive got the spindle assembly out of the machine, just going to have a look to see how I break it apart.

Wish me luck.

good luck! maybe pm slowlearner here - he recently did the same thing and has a fine spindle again

It might be a little late, but if you get stuck, let me know. I've been rebuilding 1-2 of these a month lately so have the process down.

I used to have a print for the spindle but haven't looked at it in years, so not sure if I'll be able to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by maver1ck View Post
    It might be a little late, but if you get stuck, let me know. I've been rebuilding 1-2 of these a month lately so have the process down.

I used to have a print for the spindle but haven't looked at it in years, so not sure if I'll be able to find it.
    No Maver1ck, not too late yet. I just returned from a family vacation in the Caribbean and the spindle has just been sitting on the bench. I'm Hoping to dive into it soon. Any pointers on where to start? I've never done any repairs like this before, but I think I'm up to the challenge as long as I can get a bit of advise.

And now that you're back, I'm on vacation.

But for now, I stumbled across this drawing posted from a bit over a year ago. May not be for your exact spindle, but all of the 6K - 10K RPM spindles were similar (as long as you have the air/oil mist spindle).

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...4&d=1263530610

Replacing the bearings is fairly straigtforward. There is one special tool required, but you should be able to make it in house pretty easily.

Just a quick warning, I have done many spindles that the machine's owner already rebuilt themselves that failed within days or months of the rebuild. So while there is nothing complex about the job, if care is not taken to do it right, you will be tearing it out again.

Quote Originally Posted by coop31 View Post
    No Maver1ck, not too late yet. I just returned from a family vacation in the Caribbean and the spindle has just been sitting on the bench. I'm Hoping to dive into it soon. Any pointers on where to start? I've never done any repairs like this before, but I think I'm up to the challenge as long as I can get a bit of advise.
    I would highly recommend using a company that specializes in spindle rebuilds. Not doubting your capabilities, but if you do not have the proper equipment/ gauges and do not balance the spindle once assembled, you will be hindering the performance of the spindle.

Well I've finally got it back up and running. I decided to send the spindle out to a repair shop and they tore it apart and found it to be in proper working order. They put it back together and I stuck it back into the machine. Still making the same noise as it was so I decided to tighten up the belts a bit more, and then the noise was gone. Wish I would have tried this earlier as I have been down for close to 3 weeks now. I first thought it was the spindle motor so I rebuilt it, then tore the spindle out. What a waste of time.