Just use a swamp cooler pump my foot!

First off most regular swamp cooler pump motors vent out the bottom, so the obvious answer of cutting a hole in a bucket lid and letting the head rest on the lid is a bad idea. It needs some open air space below the motor to cool properly. Next, they are all to darn short to just use a convenient cheap bucket. Sure you could stick them 3-4" into the coolant, but that leaves you having a whole bunch of un-useable coolant below the pump. Much more than you will ever need for unfiltered chip settling.

Of course my Little Giant Coolant system on the Taig basically looks like a tub with a swamp cooler pump in it, so that muddies the water so to speak. I think it only holds a little over a gallon of liquid, the motor vents to the sides near the bottom, and I bet if I measure it the distance from the bottom of the motor housing to the impeller housing is a couple inches further.

I am fixing that. Now I just need to look through my stock and scrap for the right piece of metal to make the drive shaft extension.