586,115 active members*
3,351 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > UG NX > Post Processor for Mach3

Arrow Post Processor for Mach3

Hello,

I need to run some 4-axis programs through Mach3 with NX7.0. I've written some programs and post-processed them with the standard 4-axis table mill processor in the NX library, but there are quite a few problems with the code it generates.

I understand that NX has a 'post-builder'. Am i right in thinking I could use this to create a proper post-processor? Also, (this may seem like a silly question).... but where can I find the the post builder within the NX program? I've searched for a while but can't find it! The library files and executables are in the NX directory, but I can't find a way of launching the program.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Will

hi friend....
    i m using NX 6 and 7... and i m using it to get code for my home made (experimental) 3axis cnc....
    1st of all... (as far as i know).. you dont need a post proccecore.... just select 3axis(of in your case 4axis) milling machine at the code generator and select the part(material) defined from the drop down box at bottom of the post code generator window.. and after u get you the code in a file.. open it with notepad and delete the 1st 2-3 lines which have unnormal G codes. ( delete all line till it reaches GO or G1) and then add % to start and end off the full code....
    and there u go.. it will run totally fine...
    feel free to ask more question... and PM me if i dont answer them here....

Hi, thanks for the tip.

I gave it a go. Just gives a couple of problems in the code:

The code references the rotation axis as 'B', whereas, as far as i understand mach 3 is looking for the label 'A'. I guess this one is not too hard to fix.

The bigger problem though is that the pp is outputting the path as series of very short steps. For instance, if you write a short program where the rotation axis just goes through 360deg, it outputs this as a series of commands telling it to move ~0.5deg in each step... as opposed to one command telling it do go through 360deg. Is this normal? It doesn't seem very efficient. Would this make the machine run less smoothly?

Do you think this pp will work with the more complex commands? Such as tapping and thread milling?

Barrage of questions... new to all of this!

Thanks,

will

Quote Originally Posted by whp View Post
    Hi, thanks for the tip.

I gave it a go. Just gives a couple of problems in the code:

The code references the rotation axis as 'B', whereas, as far as i understand mach 3 is looking for the label 'A'. I guess this one is not too hard to fix.

The bigger problem though is that the pp is outputting the path as series of very short steps. For instance, if you write a short program where the rotation axis just goes through 360deg, it outputs this as a series of commands telling it to move ~0.5deg in each step... as opposed to one command telling it do go through 360deg. Is this normal? It doesn't seem very efficient. Would this make the machine run less smoothly?

Do you think this pp will work with the more complex commands? Such as tapping and thread milling?

Barrage of questions... new to all of this!

Thanks,

will
    solution to your "B" "A" problem is... open the code in notepad and press Ctrl+H and replace all B with A...

now lets talk about the 2nd problem...( dont want to read the detail then start reading from @@@@solution )

the small small movement code is safe for stepper setups bcoz it helps to minimize the risk for losing steps....
    i mean.. think for 1 min that there is a code like G1 X500 y200
    and while this code is being processed one off the axis can stalls.... and the other one keeps moving at its maximum speed... so your part will be totally messed up...
    other then that ... in small movement like
    G1 X1 Y1
    G1 X1.2 Y1.2
    G1 X1.3 Y1.3
    in this code if any of the axis stalls then the misstepping will be very small( as small as the movement in a single code) ... so this type of code is safe.

@@@@@ solution ++++++
    i dont recommend you to change the code from small movement to large ... but if you want to then at the programming box there will be a drop down selection box near the feed and spindle rpm setting in that select "linear only" ... and this problem will be solved... ( i m currently not online for my UG NX pc, so next i will send you some screenshots , so u can understand it easily )

and yes.. u was saying about the smooth stepping... it does not have much relation with the code.. u have to change the settings from "motor tuneup " From Mach3...

feel free to ask more question... and PM me if i dont answer them here....

Post Builder is a seperate program - Start - All Programs - NX7.0 - Manufacturing tools - Post Builder.

If you have the license it will start up. You can copy the existing post or create a new one. The Help docs have a lot of info on the post. I would recomment attending a POst Builder course from Siemens.