Quote Originally Posted by SurfRunner
MBG,

Technically, you are titled a "machine operator". It takes a few years to earn the title, "machinist". But, if you take what you learned in school, if it was a good school, and apply it, if your supervisor gives you the freedom to do so, you will earn the title of machinist much quicker.

I think the qualifications may differ depending on the region you live. For instance, I live in Houston, Texas where apprenticeship for machinist programs are pretty much a thing of the past. Earning the title "machinist" is pretty much a self proclamed deal. However, in other parts of the country, apprenticeship or journeyman programs may be prevelant. Going through something like that may qualify you. Merely going through a technical college for a year to earn a certificate does not.

It sounds more to me like you are getting burnt out and not getting challenged enough, but welding is not a bad trade if that is what you want. It seems, in manufacturing, you pretty much have to pay your dues and prove to your employer that you will make them money before they begin to let you do more than just push a button. One of the biggest machine shops in Houston doesn't care what kind of technical training you have had, they are going to start you out in the burr shop before letting you get on a machine.
very true.. THAT IS WHY I am leaving this company.