586,551 active members*
3,421 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > First Tormach Project - AR15 Lower
Page 2 of 4 1234
    I just start using gun at a gun fair and I willing to know more about it, from where they get manufactured and what material is used in making different types of gun. I was just wondering which gun you guys like. Is there any such thing ar 15 bullets and if yes , where.

Drivers side completed

updated the blog again.. heres the drivers side all completed.

Jesse

How did you make the code for the Vader head?

Looks great!!!!

Very nice, man!
    How many different tools did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by HLF Ordnance View Post
    How did you make the code for the Vader head?

Looks great!!!!
    Adobe Illustrator.. then imported into rhino just to align etc. Then i just exported to sprutcam and did 2d contour and selected em all. went 0.01 deep with a 60degree engraving bit.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    Very nice, man!
    How many different tools did you use?

prob about 8 or so.

mainly
    1/2" 2 flute for contour and flats.
    1/4" 2 flute for some of the deeper small pocketing
    1/8" 2 flute for the one small pocket.

1/2" ball nose for 3d
    1/4" ball nose for 3d second pass
    1/8" ball nose for final 3d

1/2" spot drill for locating holes and varios drill bits for the appropriate sizes.

That's an impressive piece of work.

I have also used sandblasting to remove tool marks but I never get it quite as uniform as that, especially in blind corners. It's very easy to over do it.

Phil

Very nice work!

It looks like the mag well is still solid. How are you planning on finishing it? Are you going to mill it or are those normally broached?

bob

Not quite sure yet

I think im gonna drill the corners out and just try mill it.

Some of the builds I see do just that. Drill the radius points then mill it out and file the tangent points till magazines fit right. If you can find somewhere to do it EDM is something that comes up pretty often.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Very impressive man! Really nice work.

David

I've built several AR's from forgings and I must say that yours looks great. The magwell and trigger group well is a challenge but take you time and remember "little steps" just like elmer fud rabbit hunting.
    Midway has uppers on sale in .223 so now may be the time to find your lower a mate!
    Good job.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Really look's nice - I was wondering if your willing to share the cad files

Very nice You obviously have some previous CNC machining background.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Oh how the tables have turned since this thread, sad really. I'll be making some... Someday...

Jesse,

How much machine time did it take on the Tormach?

Quote Originally Posted by zardozwildman View Post
    Jesse,

How much machine time did it take on the Tormach?
    I'm a newbie here, but I was referred from another forum because of my interest in this topic. I am still early on the uphill side of learning Sprutcam, as well.

I'm still developing my program to do one of these, but it must be said that this is only my 4th or 5th CNC CAM project ever. Right now, my un-optimized programs for doing the left and right side of the lower take a couple of hours each.

Much of that is spent in the final operation of waterline finishing with a ball end mill. I've spent some time browsing through the site at http://www.cncguns.com/projects.html. That guy, of course, has a background in CNC and a much faster, fancier machine. Some of his techniques I like, some I don't. (I'm not going to program my machine to make nearly 1800 passes with a ball end mill, as he did. I may not live long enough!) Also, it's my understanding that the 1100 (or is it Mach 3?) doesn't do coordinated moves in X, Y, and Z all at the same time.

I'm also realizing the need to make custom fixtures for this project, which I'm also doing on the fly, mostly with a manual Bridgeport.

I'd be interested in hearing of others' experience with this project. What would be a reasonable amount of machine time to make a lower on a Tormach 1100? (Yes, I've heard that big super-special-nuclear-medical grade machines with special fixtures can do it in 10 minutes or less, but we're talking about a Tormach. Fixtures I can make.) Thanks.

-Mark

I don't know about the rest, but the 1100 does do coordinated moves in all 3 axis.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    I don't know about the rest, but the 1100 does do coordinated moves in all 3 axis.
    Maybe my memory is failing me, but I thought I read that somewhere. Could this be a limitation of Mach 3, then?

-Mark

Mach III does what I consider coordinated moves on my 1100 also. I consider a Helical Milling path where X and Y are describing a circular path while Z is move in a linear path as a coordinated move. The helix generated in the thread mill operation is repeatable and accurate including times when the feedrate is slowed or sped up.

For that matter, when I cut Helical Gears using Gearotic Software, the shaving of the teeth utilizes X, Z and A moving on a precise path simultanously at once together.

Page 2 of 4 1234