586,069 active members*
3,820 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > 1st build 2nd attempt at a CNC router

1st build 2nd attempt at a CNC router

I lost all my stuff I had for building a CNC in a house fire. So I'm starting over. I will be building the Rockcliff Model D. I'm not sure on the electronics yet. Im thinking about the Hobbie CNC Pro 4 axis. This will take some time because of my budget. I will have pics as I go. Then I will need some help when I get it up and running I'm sure. I'm in the process of buying the stuff I need to build it right now so no pics for awhile sorry.

Unfortunate about the fire. The model d looks like a nice starter machine to build parts for your even better table. hehe. I'm in the process of chosing my electronics as well. I've finally decided on the Gecko 540 but not after I gave a long hard look at KelingInc, Probotixs, and ofcourse hobbycnc. There's another one but I can't recall off the top of my head so I guess they were not all that good.

Here's some of my conclusions

HobbyCNC, cool to assemble the board and great pricing. Not so cool I have to source the transformer. The end deciding factor was do I really want to run unipolar vs bipolar?

Probotix, similar prices to HobbyCNC but the board and controllers come assembled. Biploar which was good for me.

Gecko, so many good reviews. A bit extra but hi durability and far less confusion for setup. Apparently better performance as well. When I go to upgrade my machine I wouldn't have to upgrade my electronics. Just build the mechanical and transfer the electronics. Sold.

Good luck with your build and hope you share progress.