586,469 active members*
2,980 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Mori Seiki SL-250

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think i have put in the wrong forum beforem i hope this is the right one.

I have a CNC Lathe Mori Seiki SL-250 with MSC-500 control (i have been told it is a Fanuc control not seiko), after losing and restore the parameters (due to a battery failure), the movements are ok on X & Z axes but the tool turret is misaligned, i mean when it moves towards the material in X axis, i can see the tool is below the center or rotation axis, it is like the clamping angle of the turret have moved.
    By the way the lathe has not crashed.
    Does anybody knows how to rotate the turret with the handle control to realign?
    Any ideas?

You have to go to field adjust mode (feed hold and turn the edit key switch). Feed hold light should be flashing.
    PWE-1
    Custom, enter 97, then input.
    Go do D145.7 ( not positive, look in your ladder diagram, it's in the back) change to a 1

Exit custom
    Turret +/- now clamp/unclamp the turret.
    Unclamp the turret, select T in the hand wheel mode, jog the turret with the hand wheel to position 1.
    clamp the turret, and make sure it's clamped, it still has a coupling it locks in to.

Go to parameter 1815.4 (3 axis if not a sub/milling machine)
    Change to 0.
    DO NOT POWER OFF!
    Change 1815.4 back to a 1.

Power off and re-start.

BTW, Mori NEVER used a Seicos control. That is a 21iT control.

Thank you for the info,
    but sorry i am not an expert and need a brief explanation on
    "PWE-1" and "D145.7"
    the 1815.4, i understand that is parameter #1815 and the bit to change it is the #4, but the first one i do not know what it is.

The control has "MSC-500" in front of it, and the manuals that come with the machine says "21i model A & 210i Model A"

PWE is Parameter Write Enable. Setting page.

D is in the machine side parameter. Normally you don't see them, once you go to custom, 97, input, you will. This is part of the G data and C data on the PMC side. If you didn't get all the PMC side parameters loaded, the machine will not run correctly.

Again, double check the D data number in the Ladder book. Your looking for "turret adjustment mode". I don't have the books here to look it up, and it's been 4 years since i touched a SL250.

Thank you for the explanation, i have the ladder manual, but i am not able to find any related to "Turret adjustment mode" or any similar, to find the right "D data number"
    i look in "modes" and "turret" sections,
    any advice which section to look at?

Very back of the book, lists keep relays and d data, timers etc.

D is in the machine side parameter. Normally you don't see them, once you go to custom, 97, input, you will. This is part of the G data and C data on the PMC side. If you didn't get all the PMC side parameters loaded, the machine will not run correctly.
    MS*-500 is Morified (i.e. Mori Modified). Even though the guts of it is a 21i-TA the standard Fanuc access method can not be applied because there is no CUSTOM hard key. I know this because I work a SL-253 which has the same control

To see the PMC parameters (the D145.7) press SYSTEM hard key then PMC soft key then PMCPARAM then D-DATA then G-DATA. Cursor to D*** and change whatever bit you need to change.
    Bits read from right to left so bit 7 is the left-most number

Sorry forda11, a 253 is a mapps control. He has an msc control on a 250 so it's a straight fanuc, no mapps. His will have a custom hard button.

Oh, and you can still use a custom 97 as well. Setting, 97 input on a maps.

ah. well I've seen the 250 with a MAPPS control too. Just thought it might be the same

Thank you guys for all your inputs, this mori seiki SL-250 with MSC 500 control have the "custom" hard key in the console, well i guess i have to do a deep dive in the ladder book until i find the "Turrret adjustment mode" somewhere, i think it will be a good idea start looking from the back of the book.

If you pm me your email I could dig out the official procedure for it later today. It's on my old half dead laptop that may or may not power up depending on its time of the month.

would the same procedure apply to MSG-500 also (its same 21i-TA)? If yes I'd be interested to see it also.
    I have seen the 'T' on the axis select panel by holding HND for 5 seconds. This allowed the turret to rotate with the handle. But as far as I know there is no adjustment in this mode. Full indexing takes the turret back to the standard on-center clamping position.

Press Custom Button, enter 95, then input.
    D148.5 for turret adjustment mode.

Fordav11, pm me your email.

Quote Originally Posted by dbstream View Post
    Press Custom Button, enter 95, then input.
    D148.5 for turret adjustment mode.
    Yup, this is correct. I was off on the 95 and the d data! I'm slipping in my old age! You'd think after doing hundreds of these I'd remember.

Thank you for all your inputs, the problem has been solved using the procedure, the turret can be rotated with the handle control entering the "field adjustment mode" and reset on the right position, now is running perfectly.

Regards.

this thread can be closed.

Re: Mori Seiki SL-250

Quote Originally Posted by Gilberto L View Post
    Thank you for the explanation, i have the ladder manual, but i am not able to find any related to "Turret adjustment mode" or any similar, to find the right "D data number"
    i look in "modes" and "turret" sections,
    any advice which section to look at?
    HI GILBERTO
    CAN YOU SHARE THE LADDER MANUAL FOR THE SL250 PLEASE
    THANK YOU
    [email protected]

:cheers:

Hello Gilberto, I have a Mori Seiki SL250 lathe. I see that you loaded parameters, you know due to an electrical and battery failure I lost ALL the parameters. Could you help me with the parameters of your lathe? Is there any way you could send me the files?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilberto L View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think i have put in the wrong forum beforem i hope this is the right one.

I have a CNC Lathe Mori Seiki SL-250 with MSC-500 control (i have been told it is a Fanuc control not seiko), after losing and restore the parameters (due to a battery failure), the movements are ok on X & Z axes but the tool turret is misaligned, i mean when it moves towards the material in X axis, i can see the tool is below the center or rotation axis, it is like the clamping angle of the turret have moved.
    By the way the lathe has not crashed.
    Does anybody knows how to rotate the turret with the handle control to realign?
    Any ideas?