586,080 active members*
3,992 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Camasters with a 24" Z

Hey, I'm new around here. I build foundry patterns by hand (bench build) and my shop wants to take the plunge into cnc. I am currently enrolled in a local jc to learn Autodesk, etc... I contacted Vortech and got a quote for a "Tool Changer 5X10" with a custom 24" z axis, it looks good, maybe to good due to some of the information I have found on this forum. I am looking at a Cobra CR-508. Any know if they can custom make a 24" Z axis. I have to have that because some of the molds I make require that high of a Z. No 24" Z, no cnc for me.

Does anyone around here run a high Z axis? Any problems? Any information would be great.

On a gantry type machine a high Z means a high gantry. When you are machining near the bed, the z axis will be unsupported for almost 24" and will not be too rigid unless its incredibly heavy.

I have made some plugs for composite molds which exceeded our 6" height so I just "sliced" the model into multiple layers and then glued them together after machining.

If your need for 24" height is rare, I'd think this would be a better way to go.

Matt

Ya, we are going to baisically do that. Make a 6" section, glue stock upon that section and cut, and so on... Until I have my deminsion. I found another pattern shop that does it that way, I'm just going to copy them. Some stuff we will cut will have enough clearance, due to draft, shape, etc... That it won't be an issue.

EconomyPatterns if you want this much Z travel do yourself a favor and look
    at the Haas Gantry Router with the extended Z option. I would guess it to cost around $150,000.00 now. I have around 20" of Z on my router but its
    not ridgid enough for the tolerances I want to maintain. I too am a jobbing patternmaker.

Ya, I want a Frog 4th-axis, but that, like the Hass is out of my budget. Even a used one is almost $90,000. I spoke to Camaster and they have made gantrys with that much Z movement. I think they are presenting me with something before this weekend. Pine, foam and poly in 4"-6" slices should be okay....I think? Haha. Right now we just want something to get started with, then when we get the system down invest in a Hass, Woodtherm or Frog.