586,508 active members*
3,447 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > How do I 3d sketch on a curved surface so I can extrude cut

How do I 3d sketch on a curved surface so I can extrude cut

Is there a way to create a plane following a curved surface to 3d sketch on to.

plane

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer myers View Post
    Is there a way to create a plane following a curved surface to 3d sketch on to.
    Hi, is this not a contradiction ?, a plane is a flat object (well it is in my world) so cannot follow a 3D shape. Of course you could create one that was flat to the extents of a surface, and the project the 2D sketch onto the surface.. oh sorry, that is in other software , i dont know what S/W can do !!!
    :violin:

Depending on the software...

...the actual process may differ. If the extrude cut you want to perform matches a contour of the surface you can use the geometry of the surface itself and just copy/translate to the position you want to cut. If the cut is a different shape just create the geometry then translate it to the surface and perform your cut there.

Thank you guys I will try it and see what happens

I think you are interested in creating a reference plane? You can sketch on a surface but it doesn't sound like thats really what you want.

Basically what I want to do is draw sketches onto a 14 inch radius fretboard for guitars to do all my inlay work. I've drawn the fret board and all the fret groves. I'm able to create a plane above the radius board then sketch in 3d then cut down to the desired depth. Thing is it makes a flat bottom not the curve bottom. I can do exactly what I want to in 2d sketch. The problem with 2d is I can't contol a spline the way I can 3d. It dosnt have spline points that I can move anywhere. And things don't snap at points the right way, it snaps but I have to go back and zoom real close then drag it to exact point. 2d sketching is really hard to me. It's not the same as 3d.

Instead of choosing some depth, choose "offset from surface" on your extruded cut and it will maintain a constant depth over the whole surface.

I have not done too much with splines so I cannot help there.

Matt

Really!! That easy I'll try it.

Or you can create a surface that is offset from the fret face. Then Extrude Cut down to that new surface.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Spencer,

Did you figure out what you were trying to do?

I did get one way to work I created a flat plane above the fretboard, then sketched something and did offset from surface. But I still don't get why splines in 2D are not very manageable. And things don't snap properly either. My curser is a large plus not a pencil. Is there some kind of setting I'm missing to find? 3D works great!! Any thoughts.

I did get one way to work I created a flat plane above the fretboard, then sketched something and did offset from surface. But I still don't get why splines in 2D are not very manageable. And things don't snap properly either. My curser is a large plus not a pencil. Is there some kind of setting I'm missing to find? 3D works great!! Any thoughts.
    I was having some minor issues with dimensioning and had to do a "repair" reinstallation. It cleared up the problem. You might try that. Easy to do

Mike

2d should work the same as 3d right or close as for as the curser and splines right.

2d should work the same as 3d right or close as for as the curser and splines right.

Yes they should. It sounds like you have a setting wrong or something. Can you post a picture of what happens with your 2D splines? I don't recall ever seeing what you describe.

C|

I don't know how to upload pictures to threads. The spline starts out and it's light grey as I'm drawing it, it will let me click points but then when I want to end it double click doesn't work. I have to hit enter 3 times. Then I have one curved blue line with no spline points to move it around. Also the snaps look like there snapping but there not when I zoom in. I have to hand move them to snap. Sooo slooooow. 3d snaps fine.

I don't know how to upload pictures to threads. The spline starts out and it's light grey as I'm drawing it, it will let me click points but then when I want to end it double click doesn't work. I have to hit enter 3 times. Then I have one curved blue line with no spline points to move it around. Also the snaps look like there snapping but there not when I zoom in. I have to hand move them to snap. Sooo slooooow. 3d snaps fine.
    My spline is blue(undefined sketch color) as I define it. Cursor is a pencil with small spline picture next to it. When I exit the spline command by dble'click or escape key it stays blue and shows all the points. I can drag them around to other points as needed and they will snap as needed. The attached picture shows how my snaps are set up in Tools, Option menu. If yours are the same I gotta believe you may have to do a repair or reinstall. I had to use pdf for the screen dump showing my settings.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

My splines are blue as I draw them and I can double click to end the spline. I think you may have a software issue as mentioned earlier.

To attach pictures, click the "Go Advanced" button under the quick reply box and then you will see where you can "manage attachments" and upload pictures from there.

Matt

It's fixed it was the 2d command line emulator was on and needed to be off. Now it works just like 3d sketch.

It can be done with a 2D sketch.
    Insert
    -> Features
    -> Wrap
    -> 1. Select sketch
    2. Deboss
    3. Select cut face
    4. Enter depth of cut
    5. Done
    cadfish
    http://www.burgiengineers.com/