586,096 active members*
3,650 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Machine Hours Reset???

Is it possible to reset the machine hours on something like a 2000 VF3?
    I have been looking at one and the hours on the display seem impossible.
    The screen shot is attached. What do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hours.jpg  

The hours seem impossible how? Too high? Too low? Are you asking because you think someone else reset the hours? Are you asking because you want to set them? If the backup battery has ever died, I would think all memory would be lost and machine hours would have been reset at that time. I do not know if Haas have a command for resetting machine hours or not. Fadal does.

Did you even look at the picture???
    Less than 200 spindle hours on a 2000 VF3 and you think I felt it may be too high?
    I would hope that something like machine hours was written in stone...and not resettable.

Anyone else?

That isn't where the total hours is kept. That page is reset if you highlight and hit origin.

We used to use that for individual jobs that I wanted to track time on. You can reset everything on that page - part count, run time, etc, then at the end of the job you have a count of how many parts you ran, hours, what-not.

The total hours is in the parameter pages...and NO. It isn't resettable.
    Tim

That's the answer I was looking for.

Thanks.

Yes, I looked at the picture. I actually have a 2003 Fadal with about 2000 hours on it. I think all of my questions were valid. I should not have asked any questions though to attempt to understand your thought process and where you were wanting to go. Next time my reply will be the set, "Go read the manual for once."

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    That isn't where the total hours is kept. That page is reset if you highlight and hit origin.

We used to use that for individual jobs that I wanted to track time on. You can reset everything on that page - part count, run time, etc, then at the end of the job you have a count of how many parts you ran, hours, what-not.

The total hours is in the parameter pages...and NO. It isn't resettable.
    What WallyL7 says is all true. The only exception to this is that if the processor PCB has been changed or if the software has ever been updated, then the machine hours will be from the time of the update to present.

Your HFO should be able to help you determine if anything has been changed.

I'm not trying to get in a shin kicking contest...I just felt like the depth of your questions was unnecessary because I thought (obviously incorrectly) that the picture was self explanatory. You just don't see 2000 models with that kind of hours.

But "read the manual" ? Really?
    A Haas owner would know the answer...they usually don't put that kind of stuff in the manuals. You usually trip over stuff like that by mistake. Maybe they do in Fadals'...I have never owned one.

A Haas certified technician can access the spindle and servo hours in the control. This is not normally accessible to the operator. And yes, these hours can be reset if a processor pcb has been replaced or if software has been changed. This is information that the servicing dealer may be able to provide.

Quote Originally Posted by HemiRoadRunner View Post
    A Haas certified technician can access the spindle and servo hours in the control. This is not normally accessible to the operator.

Huh? Anyone can access those numbers (unless you are talking about some additional secret place and not the normal place as I mentioned earlier). I would have thought Haastec would have mentioned that "other" place. However, if they are reset/lost when the software is updated, then those numbers on pretty much most Haas' are a waste and completely useless since most have had a software update at some point.

If this is truly the case, then all you can do is try to get whatever info from the HFO regarding hours and updates and go with that. Seems if it is that easy perhaps running the spindle in reverse would also take time off the total hours

I thought that the only thing that would change those hours would be a hard re-boot or board replacement...

Now that I think of it, on Mazaks, I thought I heard you can just reset the hours whenever you wanted...:nono:
    Tim

You can see the power on time, tool change count, and possibly (not in front of machine at moment) spindle hours. It is not hard to find. Press the diagnostics button on control. It's near parameters and settings. Once on the diagnostics page, push the page down button once or twice and it will show you the timers/counts/date/time/etc.

As to the validity of the information on this page... Provided the tech that did the software update, did his/her job correctly, that information should be accurate. Before the update, they are supposed to backup all parameters, settings, and programs to disk. When the update is complete, they load it all of the disk and it re-enters the info back onto the machine.

In the case of a processor replacement, I would assume that the same could be done. Backup the old data, replace the board, and re-enter the old data. This would only be the case if the processor was functional enough to backup the data in the first place. If it was not, then you obviously will have a machine showing 0 hours and 0 tool changes.

I hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo_454 View Post
    You can see the power on time, tool change count, and possibly (not in front of machine at moment) spindle hours. It is not hard to find. Press the diagnostics button on control. It's near parameters and settings. Once on the diagnostics page, push the page down button once or twice and it will show you the timers/counts/date/time/etc.

As to the validity of the information on this page... Provided the tech that did the software update, did his/her job correctly, that information should be accurate. Before the update, they are supposed to backup all parameters, settings, and programs to disk. When the update is complete, they load it all of the disk and it re-enters the info back onto the machine.

In the case of a processor replacement, I would assume that the same could be done. Backup the old data, replace the board, and re-enter the old data. This would only be the case if the processor was functional enough to backup the data in the first place. If it was not, then you obviously will have a machine showing 0 hours and 0 tool changes.

I hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

Mike
    You might want to check your facts a little. Machine hours cannot be reloaded after software or processor change. They get reset to zero.

Exactly my point. This is like the odometer in your car. It should be illegal (or impossible) to change.

On a 2000 model machine the spindle and axis time data cannot be re-loaded. However for machines that are now 2-3 years old or newer, that data is reloaded on a 'normal' software update. It is not usually loaded when a new processor is fitted - although it can be done.
    hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    You might want to check your facts a little. Machine hours cannot be reloaded after software or processor change. They get reset to zero.
    It just so happens that our 2007 SL-10 did have a software update and the tech DID reload the machine hours. Maybe this cannot be done after a processor board, or on earlier machines, but it worked on ours for the update.

I do agree that these hours should be transferred like miles on an odometer.

Mike

OK. Time to summarize this thread in one post.

Those numbers are either correct or incorrect.

:wee:
    Tim

The hours posted in the picture above are NOT accurate.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo_454 View Post
    The hours posted in the picture above are NOT accurate.

Mike

Ummmm.....(chair)

Yeah, I(we) said that.
    Tim