586,362 active members*
3,150 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Indexing on a Gang Tool

Ill be using a gang tool setup for a 11x26 lathe convert. Probably 4 tools. How do you index each tool? and holders? This is a generic question for future fabrication of the gang tool setup.
    Any direction to info books, websites, or your own experience would be very helpful.

Ive started on this conversion. That means Ive spent money. (2) Keling 381oz, (1) G540, (1) 48v PS. Using Mach3. Thats it so far.
    Ed

Not an expert here but I would assume you would just set-up the offsets in Mach3

I am looking forward to seeing another 11x26 conversion here, haven't had time to button mine up yet but hopefully soon.

JTCUSTOMS
    "It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

Getting the large purchases over with first.

I figured a gang tool would be easier to fab and use. Until... I layed out the tools it would need and diff cuts, then it got complicated. It takes up alot of X distance.
    1)turning center/face
    1)grooving/part blade?
    1)drill bit
    1)boring bar
    1)part blade/grooving?
    Not much info about gang tool setups. Omniturn catalog was the only info I found and some boobtoob vids.
    Another option is a rotary indexer. I have a Denford parts manual showing 4 tool indexer exploded view. No dims. Have a PTO in the shed somewhere, which may be a conversion candidate for this type rotary indexer. If not, back to gang tool.

Added other electrical components today- Lenevo S50 3.0ghz, 1gb, 40gb, small frame factor and ELO 17" Intellitouch Surface Acoustic monitor.

I'm interested in following your progress with the gang tool holder.

However, if you want to investigate a rotary tool holder, there have been a number of threads on cnczone describing DIY tool turrets, with both electromagnetic and pneumatic designs, such as:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...he_turret.html

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...html#post80417

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mini_l...tml#post978457

Been there seen it. Thanks anyways.
    Utube Emco 5CNC, Denford, etc. Ratcheting design using servo/stepper,worm.
    Not quite sure, when the servo motor backs into the ratchet to lock, does the motor remain power on, stalled?

As far as gang tool goes, will each tool need to be touched off (indexed) to the piece? calibrated in Mach3 in relation to home?
    btw- I have zero cnc experience. Nothing assembled.

a simple drawing. Est 20" total distance X travel, about 8" from center for 2.25 dia stock, 4-6"L. Will need up 4.5 dia stock

I don't have any real-world experience with gang tooling, so I can't answer your Mach3 questions related to its use.

I'm curious about your thinking on how to attach the tooling to the X-axis bar. I've seen some photos of commercially-available gang tool holders, but I've been wondering whether it made sense for a DIY approach to mount standard quick-change tool holders to the bar in standard positions along the bar, or would that require even more complicated layout and machining...

Quote Originally Posted by kNucklBustr View Post
    Been there seen it. Thanks anyways.
    Utube Emco 5CNC, Denford, etc. Ratcheting design using servo/stepper,worm.
    Not quite sure, when the servo motor backs into the ratchet to lock, does the motor remain power on, stalled?

As far as gang tool goes, will each tool need to be touched off (indexed) to the piece? calibrated in Mach3 in relation to home?
    btw- I have zero cnc experience. Nothing assembled.

a simple drawing. Est 20" total distance X travel, about 8" from center for 2.25 dia stock, 4-6"L. Will need up 4.5 dia stock
    I personally wouldnt be turning this spindle backwards for any operation that requires a decent amount of torque, as the 2 capscrew locks that hold the 1.5x8 spindle thread on are not very stout and we wouldnt want the chuck unscrewing itself now would we:stickpoke

JTCUSTOMS
    "It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

I was wondering the reason for the backplate mods Ive read about.
    Machining graphite. hence the enclosed vac system.
    Ill flip the part blade.